• March 19Sign-ups for Senior Trip end 3/27 and forms can be turned into Mr. Bigelow in M202.

Softball welcomes new coach in meeting

Coach+Sullenberger+stands+at+the+podium+ready+to+begin+the+pre-season+meeting.++Sullenberger+is+the+newly+appointed+coach+for+the+upcoming+2019+spring+season.+

Softball welcomes new coach in meeting

Coach Sullenberger stands at the podium ready to begin the pre-season meeting.  Sullenberger is the newly appointed coach for the upcoming 2019 spring season.

Coach Sullenberger stands at the podium ready to begin the pre-season meeting. Sullenberger is the newly appointed coach for the upcoming 2019 spring season.

Ayb Graham

Ayb Graham

Ayb Graham

UPDATE: As reported by The Carlisle Sentinel on Jan 12, Joe Sullenberger has been placed on immediate leave “due to an investigation unrelated to his employment.”  

On Wednesday, Sept 26, a meeting was held to welcome Joe Sullenberger as the new head coach for the CHS softball team.

Sullenberger, who’s been coaching for 22 years, accented values in his players such as passion, community, and a drive to improve. He is also focused on leaving a legacy for future softball players. 

At the meeting, he talked about how he’s deeply invested in the community and in making sure that the softball team works both with their booster club, and with fundraisers within the Carlisle community.

Under him, community service is mandatory.

When asked about the most important part of softball, Sullenberger said, “The most important part of softball is…making sure that everyone that plays on the team leaves being better, and is getting better.”

Although softball is a spring sport, fall/winter workouts started October 1, and Sullenberger made it clear that he expected to see his players there, as long as they didn’t have any other important events.

In his words, going to the workouts is “highly recommended”. Aside from keeping the players’ muscles well-used, it gives him a chance to talk to and get to know his players, and when the game is “80% mental, 15% physical, and 5% luck,” as he said, knowing your players is important.

He also mentioned that he wants to hold one-on-one interviews with each of the girls, so he knows their goals and ambitions.

In regards to her first time meeting  Sullenberger, sophomore Riley Henry said, “What stood out the most was that he showed so much passion and love for the game of softball.”

Sullenberger also made it clear that he does what he says, and his word is very important to him. Although his goals may seem difficult or even impossible, he believes they can be reached. 

“He seems genuinely interested in the junior varsity and youth programs,” said Jody Geiling, the parent representative of the softball booster team.

Between working with equipment, talking to other coaches, and meeting with the booster team, he’s been very busy since being accepted as the coach.

Sullenberger closed the meeting by inviting parents and players to talk with him for any additional questions and comments they may have. 

Summer Hollingsworth, Staff Writer

Summer is a 14 year old staff writer who loves listening to music, reading, learning new things, and writing. Even though she spends a lot of time immersed...

1 Comment

One Response to “Softball welcomes new coach in meeting”

1. Autiana Easley on November 16th, 2018 4:37 pm

Coach Sullenberger is also very active in the community, which I admire as a coach; he isn’t just softball. Even though he just recently moved to Carlisle, it feels like we’ve known him forever. He’s very aware, up-front, and listens to his players and co-coaches, which is most important to me. He even started a “team-based” counseling system, just to make sure that all is well within the team. If there isn’t a strong foundation as a team, there can’t be a strong game played. (Just some insider information. I will be playing softball this season.)

• Softball welcomes new coach in meeting

Sports

At the starting line: What propels students to try a new sport?

Sports

March Athlete of the Month: Sam Candland

Showcase

Jumping through the differences: Indoor vs. outdoor track and field

Sports

February Athlete of the Month: Sierra Young

Sports

Sweat now, succeed later: Football starts off-season training

Showcase

Shooting stars: Catching up with freshman Dylan Young (Video)

Sports

February Athlete of the Month: Bryce Dunkelberger

Sports

Flying above and below: different sports and their reports (Editorial)

Showcase

Wishes come true: Eleven student-athletes sign with future schools

Sports

Boys basketball celebrates senior night with a win

Softball welcomes new coach in meeting