Did You Know?

Staff Profile
S. Kathrin Bryson
S. Kathrin Bryson
Staff Writer

A Warm Welcome: Profile on Carlisle Baseball’s New Head Coach, Melvin Kelley

Jennifer Brink
Coach Kelley smiles big during the Big Spring game.

“T.E.A.M. – Together. Everyone. Achieves. More.” This mantra, brought by new baseball Coach Melvin Kelley, is the focus for this baseball season. Kelly’s belief in working as a team is crucial to his plan for the on-field dynamics for The Herd, and this “Team before Me” philosophy is only the beginning of the changes fans can expect this season.

Kelley was hired in the fall, after a lackluster 22-23 season where the team finished 5-14. Kelly took initiative immediately by starting preseason workouts shortly after he took over the coaching staff. When asked how he is going to turn the program around, Kelley believes “baseball is a game that can be taught, but respect and trust must be earned as coaches and players.”

Once the team establishes this respect, Kelley says the real work can begin, “we can put our plan into action with the buy-in of our entire program that will lead to the results that we all desire.”

When Coach Kelley came in, he was prepared. He refers to his plan as a “threefold,” he says he wants, “to guide our group of hardworking players to a Keystone Championship and to playoffs, to have our High School program be actively connected to our Carlisle Area Little League, and to encourage our players to excel in the classroom as well as in our community.”

Kelley is passionate about the sport and expects a lot from his athletes. He also hopes to help his players beyond high school with accomplishing their aspirations of playing college ball. However, above all Kelley emphasizes “my players will understand that academics are equally, if not more important, than baseball.”

The Herd keeps growing, as many new members have been hired onto the staff by Kelley. The depth that he is developing is vital for the future of the program. Kelley has coached for over 30 years and has experience with different levels of the game. He played baseball for Carlisle and graduated in 1990, going on to play in college at Penn State Berks Campus in the early 90s.

On Tuesday, March 19th, Kelley coached the boys to their first 2024 season win against Big Spring. It was a big win, 8-1. Notable contributions include Junior Lucas Ream hitting two home runs and Junior Spencer Griffie starting for the Herd on the mound and going for five innings with seven strikeouts. Going into the game, Kelley shared another motto that the team lives by, “We will never lose a game because we were not prepared.” 

From the drills at practices to the decisions in game, Kelley is very intentional, “I 100% believe that our team is ready to go and willing to put in as much work as necessary to achieve our team goals.”

This win creates momentum for the boys, and will motivate them to continue their hard work at practice. Kelley feels that the team’s success is driven by the athletes’ dedication, “I am very blessed to be trusted to work with an amazing group of young men that have the same determination that I do.”

Coach Kelley shares his hopes of rebuilding the program, expressing that he is looking forward to returning “HERD PRIDE” to Carlisle baseball. Kelley wants the team to be actively involved in the community, “We will be a team that our school and community can be proud of.” He wants the team to be thought highly of, regardless of the results on the field. He plans on encouraging the team to volunteer for events in the community.

“On the field, we will learn that we are a Team; Team before Me.”

— Coach Kelley

Carlisle baseball is remodeling, with Coach Kelley paving the way. Having a crowd at the games is something Kelley would like to see this season, noting that “[…] having our student body getting behind the hardest working group of young men” will contribute to the boys’ success. 

On Friday, March 22nd they lost a tough game to Chambersburg 5-0, but used this loss to drive them to a win on Monday, March 25th. The boys mercy ruled Bishop McDevitt in the 5th inning after starting pitcher, a junior, Ian Pfahl threw a no-hitter. Their game against Gettysburg on March 27th was a tight one, both teams only getting two hits. Carlisle fell just short, losing 2-1.

All in all, Kelley hopes to achieve a sense of togetherness, respect, and discipline on the team, reminding his athletes of his acronym “TEAM.” With a current record of 2-2, the boys continue their conquest to better their record and program. They face Palmyra at home on April 2nd.