Did You Know?

Grappling his Goals: Alumni Profile on Layton Schmick

A look at alumni Layton Schmick and where he is one year after high school.
Layton as a freshman in high school, and Layton as a freshman in college.

Layton Schmick is a Carlisle High School Alumni from the most recent graduating class, class of 2023. He is now wrestling for East Stroudsburg University, ESU, in his freshman year. Schmick wrestled for the varsity wrestling team, as well as wrestling in the state tournament, ending his high school career with a record of 122-23, being one of very few to win over 100 times.  He was also the center for the varsity football team. Despite all his recent success, Layton’s wrestling journey started long ago. 

“My dad put me into wrestling when I was in kindergarten. I just stuck with it since then.”

Those who start playing sports at a young age always run the risk of burning out as they grow.

“I’ve never thought about quitting, but when I was a freshman I thought about taking the easy road and staying down on the Jr. High [Middle School] level. I’m glad I didn’t though.”

As a Carlisle freshman year Layton didn’t do extremely well. But through his hard work and dedication he went from a 20-11 season in freshman year to an incredible 40-2 season, placing 3rd in the state tournament during his senior year. 

Layton doesn’t take sole credit for his successes, naming his father as his prime motivator. 

“My dad was definitely my biggest influence because he set big goals for me to beat.”

Schmick’s father, Brian Schmick, was a coach on the Carlisle football team. But before that the older Schmick also wrestled for Carlisle High School, almost earning 100 wins ending his high school season with a record of 93-19. The goals set for the younger Schmick by his father were definitely have pushed him forward, but wrestling wasn’t the only thing on his mind in his 4 years at Carlisle High School.

“I plan on being a speech therapist… This is always what I planned on being.” 

With Layton’s routine of going to school during the day, then practicing for sports in the evening, Layton definitely had a lot of work on his shoulders. 

“At Carlisle I always felt supported. Whether it was on a team or in the classroom. If I needed help there was always someone you could ask.”

And with the support of his teachers, coaches, and peers, Layton would go on to his freshman year of college with a record of 24-3 overall while producing 12 falls, all while majoring in communication sciences and disorders at ESU. He is still dedicated and working hard to achieve his goals.