Did You Know?

Staff Profile
Lyric Koch
Lyric Koch
Perspectives editor

Senior Spotlight: Jaydon Smith

Jaydon+Smith+flicks+a+ball+in+the+air+on+the+Carlisle+court.+
Crystal Brown
Jaydon Smith flicks a ball in the air on the Carlisle court.

He shoots… and he scores! Jaydon Smith hits the court for his final season of high school basketball with a positive mindset and high hopes for success. True to his aspirations, Smith started the first game of the season by contributing 18 points in the Herd’s win, and continued that progress by scoring 11 points during the most recent game against Harrisburg.

Last year as a junior, averaging 17 points per game, Smith was named to PennLive’s 2023 Big 15 team. When asked about how it felt being on the team, Smith describes, “It felt great just knowing that all the hard work that I put in was really starting to pay off.”  

And if his junior year couldn’t get any better, his major achievement in basketball was playing in the district playoff game. Smith noted that this accomplishment meant the most to him, “Because of the atmosphere and everything about it.” He added that he and the Herd are “hoping to make it further this year.”

Crystal Brown

Due to all his success, Smith has already received several college offers for basketball, “It’s definitely a dream come true… You dream of things like this when you’re a kid.” He plans to study finance and continue his basketball career post-graduation. He shares that he is, “definitely grateful for it.” 

When asked about his feelings on wrapping up his high school basketball career, Smith explains that he is, “Just looking forward to playing with my lifelong friends for one last season. I’ve been super close with everyone on the team for my whole life basically.”  

Teammate, Parker Smith remarks that Jaydon is “ one of the only seniors on the team, [and] he displays great leadership for all of us. He knows how to get everyone involved in the game. At practice, if we take a step slow, he’s the one that’s gonna take charge and get us back on track.”

To make this last season count, Smith has set goals to keep himself focused. For his team, Smith “want[s] to win the Mid Penn Championship and make a run-in district and state playoffs.” And individually? Smith hopes to “win conference player of the year.”

When asked about his star player, head coach Andre Anderson shared, “Big things are coming for Jaydon and the team this season, and the whole town is excited for hoops!” 

Anderson remarks that it is refreshing to watch him come through the program as a child and grow into the player and person he is today. “Jaydon is truly a coach’s dream. As good of a basketball player as he is, he’s an even better human being.” Reflecting that, Smith offers piece of advice that he wishes to pass down to his younger teammates, “Don’t take anything for granted, these 4 years really fly by. Enjoy it while you still can.”

And so far, Smith had delivered on his own advice with a great start leading the Herd to a record of 4-0. Those wishing to see Smith in action can travel with the team to Cumberland Valley on December 15th at 7:30 pm.