Did You Know?

Staff Profile
Mason Neal
Mason Neal
Staff Writer

Disco Reflections: Homecoming Week Recap

Ryleigh Underwood
FLOWERS FOR ALL: All six hoco-court nominees pose with bouquets of flowers and smiles.

Every year, the week of the Homecoming game and dance is chaotic at CHS, with Student Council held events and spirit week, a Wingin’ It show, the Powderpuff Game, and each Class Council pulling together the dance on Saturday night. Periscope Staff documented the week, interviewing students and staff for social media, collaborating with the student governments to get the inside scoop, and most importantly, attending all the events and photographing them. ‘Scope photographers and editors have compiled the week into multiple different galleries and they can be viewed below.

Monday: Dodgeball Tournament

The Dodgeball Tournament is hosted every year by Student Council to narrow down a team of students to play the teachers’ team on the Friday Pep-Rally. This year, a team comprising of seniors Nick Friscia, Cohan Bailey, Marcus Barnett, Darian Crim, and Logan Peterson, formally called The Cupcakes, won the battle and scored “Class Clash” points for the class of 2024.

Tuesday: Wingin’ It! Show

The first Wingin’ It! show of the year debuted new additions to the troupe after last year’s seniors graduated. Tuesday night’s show was held at 7pm in the Swartz Cafeteria and brought plenty of laughs to the crowd.

Wednesday: Powderpuff Football Game

As a part of Homecoming events, each year, Student Council hosts a flag-football game tournament comprised of one all-female team from each grade and a corresponding all-male cheer squad. The Seniors maintained their win-streak this year, beating the Freshmen 12-0.

Thursday: Homecoming Dance Set-Up

The Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior Class Councils spent multiple days transforming the Swartz Cafeteria and Gymnasium into a metallic disco nightclub for all four grades to enjoy on Saturday night.

Friday: Pep-Rally

To build hype around the Homecoming Football Game, Student Council hosts a Pep-Rally in the McGowan gym where all four grade levels come together to promote school spirit.

Friday: Football Game and Crowning of  the 2023 Homecoming Queen

The Thundering Herd Football Team played State College at home on Friday and Maia Iannuzzi was crowned Class of 2024’s Homecoming Queen at halftime. The Herd fell to State College, 20-55, but the crowd still cheered them on in a pink-out theme for Breast Cancer Awareness month.

Saturday: Homecoming Dance

This year’s HOCO Dance was a success! The theme was “disco” as decided by Senior Class Council with the primary colors being pink, purple, and silver.