Did You Know?

Staff Profile
Odessa Cruz
Odessa Cruz
Staff Writer

Caraval: “Remember it’s only a game…” (Review)

Night+one+of+Caraval+begins+for+players.+
Odessa Cruz
Night one of Caraval begins for players.

Caraval by Stephanie Garber is a thrilling and page turning book about a mysterious show where people’s lives are at risk. It keeps the reader on their toes every single chapter. Although the story is very well written, Garber’s plot becomes intentionally confusing at times. Just like the characters in this story, readers will find themselves tricked by Garber’s writing. Her twisted plotlines lead the reader to believe that the performance is becoming real, despite the repeated warning that “everything is only a game.”

In the book Scarlett has been writing to Legend, the creator of Caraval, for seven years when she  finally receives tickets to the annual performance and has the opportunity to participate in an exciting game. The performance is designed to play tricks on a player’s mind, confusing magic and reality as they compete to win any wish. 

As part of the game, Scarlett’s sister is kidnapped and she begins searching for her. Throughout her quest, Scarlett starts to slowly fall in love with a sailor named Julian who helps her search for her sister and a way out of Caraval.

As the book comes to an end, the plot grows more chaotic. Scarlett loses track of reality when Legend appears and tells Scarlett that everything taking place is not real. He commits unthinkable acts of violence and pretends he is not the problem. The last chapters are filled with plot twists that will make the reader go as insane as Scarlett. 

This book is incredible and confusing because of those plot twists. Everything in Caraval is fake and misleading. The point of this book is that the readers, like the players, all get lost in the game and realize they can’t trust anyone.  The book ends on a massive cliffhanger but at least there is one happy ending. 

The romance between Julian and Scarlett is sparkling. Two people who went from hating each other to trusting each other with their lives is very inspiring. Although their love might have been encouraged by Legend in certain parts, they still ended up together. Scarlett’s point of view sucks you into the romance between the two. 

The whole time the book is playing tricks in the reader’s mind, and making it seem like everything is real when it’s not. Everything in this book will make the reader fall in love with the world of Caraval. The characters, plot, and writing style is engaging for the reader. When reading this book, remember that it’s only a game.

Disclaimer: Articles designated as “Review” represent the views, opinions, and recommendations of the author, not the 2023-2024 Periscope staff, CHS/CASD administration, or the CHS student body.