Did You Know?

Staff Profile
Scarlett Learned
Scarlett Learned
Staff Writer

Valentine’s Fails: How to Redeem Yourself

Forgot the flowers? Didn’t plan a date? It’s okay, Valentine’s Day is an easy holiday to mess up, but with this guide it’s now even easier to redeem yourself. Whether celebrating with friends or a significant other, there is something for everyone to enjoy themselves this Valentine’s Day, despite previous mishaps. It can be hard to come up with unique and fun date or gift ideas, so here is the perfect guide for how to celebrate regardless of relationship status. For additional guidance, refer to the Pinterest board linked for aesthetic and cute pictures, organized by category, to inspire your holiday plans. 

Don’t have a date, or want to celebrate with dancing instead of romance? A “Galentine’s” party is a fun way to celebrate with your friends, and is an instant mood-booster on a holiday that might have some feeling down. Take advantage of the playlist linked below for the best Valentine’s songs, as well as decoration inspiration from the Pinterest board, your “Galentine’s” party will be like no other and will have this Valentine’s Day feeling extra fun.  

Pinterest Board: Valentine’s Pinterest Board

Spotify Playlist: Valentine’s Party Playlist

For some quick ideas, here are 7 meaningful last-minute gift ideas that everyone will love. 

1. Lego sets

With tons of variety in options, Lego sets make the perfect gift/date combo. A sweet gift for someone who loves to reminisce on their childhood while spending quality time with your friend or significant other. 

2. Homemade gifts

Whether paper flowers, a jar of reasons why you love them, a unique photo album, or some form of artwork, homemade gifts are so personal and thoughtful. Paired with other gifts, or just on their own, making something for someone you love is the perfect way to show them you care. 

3. Annotated book

This gift might take a bit more effort to complete, but it’s so worth it. Reading a book with your significant other’s annotations is so special because you can see their thoughts as the story unfolds and it makes the reading experience so much more enjoyable. You have the opportunity to write notes throughout the margins and point out specific moments that might be meaningful to them.

4. Gift baskets

Completely customizable, gift baskets make the perfect gift for anyone. Include their favorite candy, snacks, and other small items like stuffed animals or clothes to create something tailored to them that they would love.

5. Sports game tickets

If your significant other is a fan of sports, gifting them tickets to see their favorite team play would be right up their alley. Gifting any type of “experience” is worth more than any item because it not only makes the perfect date for the future, but it shows them you care about their interests or hobbies.

6. Matching keychains

Matching keychains are a subtle, yet sweet way to demonstrate your love. Matching keychains can come in any form, so finding the ones that represent your relationship makes it that much more special and personal.

7. Jewelry 

Jewelry as a gift can sometimes be basic, but not if you know their personal style and what they would love. There are so many options and various places to look, so it’s easy to find something that would mean a lot to your person. 

Although Valentine’s Day has passed, it’s not too late to celebrate with your loved ones this weekend. Date ideas can be hard to come up with, so here are 7 ideas to jumpstart the brainstorming that are simple, yet fun and creative. Great for any day of the week, and perfect for a post-Valentine’s Day weekend.

1. Movie Night

Seems basic, but a movie night is a cozy and fun way to spend the holiday with your favorite people. With matching PJs, cookies, and popcorn, watching your favorite rom-com is the perfect night-in option.

2. Homemade dinner + dessert

Super simple and easy to do, making dinner at home is a fun activity with a yummy reward at the end. Making a homemade meal with dessert is an inexpensive alternative to going out and is best accompanied by your friends or significant other.

3. Ice skating

A fun winter activity perfect for mid-February, ice skating is enjoyed by all and can be done at any time of day. No need for ice skating skills or talent, learning how to skate is the best part, and doing it with your friends or significant other is a guaranteed good time. 

4. Game Night

Another inexpensive option is hosting a game night for you and your friends. Group activity, or still fitting for two, playing a variety of games ranging from Twister, Mario Kart, Just Dance, or any board game is always a blast. 

5. Painting

Simple but fun, there are so many ways to make a painting date unique and interesting. Switching canvases every 5 minutes, or doing a chill competition, painting is relaxing and a great activity to do while having a conversation, or even at a picnic. Take the paintings outside, or if too cold, it’s great indoors with music or a movie playing.  

6. Scenic Hike

If it’s not too cold, a hike with a rewarding view at the end is a fun way to spend time outside and be active. With many variations in difficulty, hikes/walks are great for everyone and would make for some great photos.

7. Watch the sunset

Completely free of charge, watching the sunset is the perfect way to end the day of Valentine’s activities and can be done in so many ways. In the car or at a park with a blanket, watching the sunset is so relaxing and perfect for spending quality time with whoever.