• May 14The senior class' last day is May 23.

• May 14The honors banquet will take place on May 23 at 5:30 pm.

• May 14Senior Renaissance will take place on May 29 in the McGowan Auditiorium.

• May 14Matthew Oh placed first in the senior individual documentary category at state National History Day on May 10.

• May 14The 2019 edition of Oracle is availible for pickup in the cafeteria this week

• May 13Keystone Testing will take place this week (5/13-5/20). There will be an adjusted schedule most days.

Blocking the temptation: Apps to help limit phone usage

While+phones+can+be+a+helpful+resource%2C+they+have+also+become+an+addiction.++However%2C+there+are+apps+available+to+help+limit+and+regulate+how+much+time+we+are+spending+on+are+phones.++

While phones can be a helpful resource, they have also become an addiction.  However, there are apps available to help limit and regulate how much time we are spending on are phones.

While phones can be a helpful resource, they have also become an addiction. However, there are apps available to help limit and regulate how much time we are spending on are phones.

Lillianne Hogsten

Lillianne Hogsten

Lillianne Hogsten

In a society filled with technology, we are constantly surrounded by the temptation of electronics.  Approximately 1.54 billion smartphones are bought each year worldwide according to Statista.com.  Thus, the addiction to constantly be on your phone can be hard to avoid.  

In an article from The Washington Post, Common Sense Media, a family technology education non-profit group, found that teens spend around nine hours each day “using media such as online video or music.”  

However, there are applications that have been created to specifically curve phone usage.  Here’s a list of some apps that help limit how much time we spend on phones:

Flora

Flora is a focused habit tracker that adds a fun twist to help limit users phone time.  You begin by planting a seed that will eventually grow into a tree. To get your tree to grow, you must only have your phone on this app.   As soon as you leave, your tree will shrivel up and die.

Flora is unique in that you can sync it with friends so that when one person leaves the app the group’s tree dies.  You can collect trees from all over the world, in order to expand your garden. Flora is available only for IOS users and is free to download.

Offtime

The Offtime app promotes the motto of “finding balance in your online and offline life.”   The app is based out of Spain and allows users to understand how much time they are truly spending on their phones.  

Offtime breaks down how much time is spent on each app, every day.  It allows you to set hurdles, reminders, or restrict apps when you begin using them more than the daily set time, that users can set up.  At Offtime they believe that “unplugging isn’t isolation, it’s an opportunity to reconnect”. Offtime is available for free to both IOS and Android users.

How much time do you spend on your phone each day?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

UnGlue

While originally designed as an app for parents to use in order to monitor their children’s screen time, UnGlue has now become used by all generations.  UnGlue monitors your phone usage in order to determine what apps you spend the most time in.  

You can set limits of how much time you want on each app.  The time bank allows for you to see how much time you have remaining in that app for the day.  A feature of UnGlue geared towards children is allowing the child to earn screen time which can be spent just like cash.  For doing a task such as cleaning the dishes or taking out the trash, parents can reward the child with screen time.

UnGlue also allows you to set up a schedule, so you can set aside time for tasks such as doing homework.  The app is free to download and comes with a 14-day free trial. Once the trial expires you can opt to continue for the basic version which is free or pay $11.99 per month for unlimited access to all the apps features.  UnGlue is available to both IOS and Android users.

In today’s fast-paced world, using our phones is crucial in order to get information quickly.  However, we can often become wrapped up in constantly using our phones. With the help of these apps, people are able to avoid the temptation of using their phone in order to reconnect with the world around them.    

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Blocking the temptation: Apps to help limit phone usage”

1. Amy Knapp on February 26th, 2019 12:30 pm

This is a very helpful article! I am going to try the UnGlue app with my youngest daughter – thanks for the ideas!

2. Maddie Couto on March 18th, 2019 9:45 am

I can relate to the issue of being on my phone way too much. I am aware that this is a problem in my life, and I have tried a handful of things to stop myself from spending too much time on my phone. Apple also offers a screen limit option, but I don’t find that it is very useful because it is easy to override or stop. I hope that one of these apps will be helpful for me to try and spend less time on my phone. I was shocked to hear that kids are spending an average of 9 hours a day on their phones. I generally spend 5 hours a day on my phone which I feel is a lot of time. That statistic means that the majority of people spend almost all of their waking hours on thier electronics.

• Blocking the temptation: Apps to help limit phone usage

A ‘map’ to the charts: BTS releases new album

Heading off stress: Anxiety and relaxation apps (Review)

Let the ‘Game’ begin: Students make predictions about final ‘Avengers’ film (Video)

Poetic expressions: NEHS to host Poetry Week

Shaking up the industry: Billie Eilish releases first album (Review)

Sequential success?: Reddit’s 2019 April Fool’s Day event

Live-action remake of ‘Dumbo’ flies into theaters (Review)

Scouting for new flavors: Students try lesser-known Girl Scout cookies (Video)

‘Captain Marvel’ offers a much-needed female role model (Review)

Genre repeat: Battle royale gaming has ties to deathmatch style