Did You Know?
  • May 1Seniors Last Day Is In Sight! Keep Going!
  • May 1Prom is NEXT WEEK (4/11) @7pm

Staff Profile
Scarlett Learned
Scarlett Learned
Staff Writer

To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before: An Iconic Film Series (Review)

Daleshka Leon Raya
A depiction of Lara Jean’s letters with the names of her major love interests.

On August 17, 2018, the long-awaited book-to-movie adaptation, To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before, was released. This series never fails to bring comfort and nostalgia, and it is by far the most accurate book-to-movie adaptation in the Young Adult romance novel industry. Not only are the movies true to the books, but they also have the same adorable rom-com charm.

TATBILB is by far the best teenage rom-com movie series because of its amazing adaptation, endearing romance, and its ability to connect with the viewer.

— Daleshka Leon Raya

TATBILB follows protagonist Lara Jean Song Covey and love interest Peter Kavinsky. Lara Jean is a hopeless romantic that believes in true love and at a young age writes five love letters about all the boys she’s loved before. The movies tell Lara Jean’s and Peter’s love story that takes you through their ups and downs and their journey through the high school experience. The movie also follows Lara Jean’s remaining letter recipients like Josh, Kenny, and Lucas. Lara Jean and Peter’s relationship starts off with a fake relationship to get back at Peter’s ex-girlfriend, but their relationship evolves into something more romantic. They go through many trials and tribulations like Lara Jean’s childhood friend stepping back into her life and difficult college decisions.

The first book in the series released in 2014, the sequel P.S I Still Love You in 2015, and the final novel Always and Forever, Lara Jean in 2017. Each of the three books have a surprisingly accurate book to movie adaptation, thanks to Jenny Han taking the role as executive producer. There were subtle changes in the plot which is logical considering an hour and forty-minute-long movie can’t fit every single detail, like Lara Jean and Peter’s semi-date to an antique store or Lara Jean’s college visit with Christine. Regardless, the movies had the same plot and portrayed the book’s romance tropes and writing very well.

The entirety of the TALBILB movie series is shot by Susan Johnson in an aesthetically pleasing manner. We see this in all of Lara Jean’s hobbies like scrapbooking, baking, reading, etc. In every movie there is always a montage of these hobbies that is visually appealing and adds to the intimacy of the film. The costumes for the film also play a part in this especially for Lara Jean. The rest of the cast have casual outfits for most of the film, while Lara Jean always has on vintage colorful clothing. This style choice develops her character and draws more attention to her as the central focus.

The conflicts in the films are very empathetic to YA viewers and connect them to the characters and story. In each movie there is a conflict that is common in their age group like, in Always and Forever, Lara Jean she struggles with college decisions and self-discovery. The viewer can connect and relate to Lara Jean, seeing themself in a protagonist can easily bump a movie to the favorites list.

To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before is a young adult rom-com trilogy that deserves all the recognition that it has received, like their many Teen Choice Awards in 2019. The fake dating trope is one of many favorite movie plots, and this movie series undeniably provides it. The amount of nostalgia that bleeds from this movie series is what makes this such an amazing throwback film to adolescence. Furthermore, the accuracy of this book to movie adaptation is remarkable. TATBILB is by far the best teenage rom-com movie series because of its amazing adaptation, endearing romance, and its ability to connect with the viewer.

Disclaimer: Articles designated as “Review” represent the views, opinions, and recommendations of the author, not the 2023-2024 Periscope staff, CHS/CASD administration, or the CHS student body.