Did You Know?

Staff Profile
Scarlett Learned
Scarlett Learned
Staff Writer

Fancy Like: A rating of Applebee’s Appetizers

DATE+NIGHT%3A+The+Carlisle+Applebees+is+located+on+260+Noble+Blvd.+Applebees+is+one+of+Americas+top+casual+dining+chains%2C+perfect+for+date+nights+and+gatherings+with+friends.++
Hannah Stoner
DATE NIGHT: The Carlisle Applebee’s is located on 260 Noble Blvd. Applebee’s is one of America’s top casual dining chains, perfect for date nights and gatherings with friends.

Periscope Staff members Myana Brown, Hannah Stoner, Jillian Grimes, Lyric Koch, and Haylie Potter tested out some of the different appetizers served at the chain restaurant Applebee’s and decided which ones tasted the best. Below, the appetizers that were sampled are ranked from least favorite to favorite according to the group.

• Breadsticks with Alfredo Sauce 

We ultimately decided that the Breadsticks with Alfredo Sauce was not an appetizer we would order again. The breadsticks were quite dry and the alfredo sauce wasn’t outstanding. Myana and Jillian offered up the breadsticks they were eating to the rest of the table, due to the lack of flavor and appeal. 

• Mozzarella Sticks

Mozzarella sticks are an appetizer you can find in many variations at almost any restaurant. However, this is not an outstanding dish at Applebee’s. Lyric noted how they didn’t have a good cheese pull, which some find essential in this delectable dish. A few of us thought it had a weird flavoring, but Myana loves them and always orders this as her starting dish. 

• Boneless Wings

The Boneless Wings offered came with a variety of sauces and seasonings, although we collectively decided to have the Honey Barbeque sauce. The chicken had a delicious crisp and the sauce was tangy and sweet. These wings are offered as an appetizer as well as a meal. Hannah believes the chicken was not top-tier and could have better flavor, but in Haylie’s opinion, the sauce makes up for the lack of flavor. 

• Spinach Artichoke Dip

The Spinach Artichoke Dip was a hit or miss appetizer in our group. Some absolutely loved this dip with the gooey cheese layer on top of the warm dip, while some were repelled by it, Myana describing it as “too green” and not taking a second bite. This app also comes with a small side of their salsa which can be used in between bites of dip to brighten the palette since the dip becomes rich after multiple bites.

• Brew Pub Pretzels and Beer Cheese

The pretzel that started it all. We were so enamored by the taste of the beer cheese that is served with these pretzels, we wanted to compare other appetizers offered at the restaurant. As a group, this is one of our favorite appetizers to order and share. The pretzels are perfectly soft, and the cheese is a scrumptious and versatile dipping sauce. We found ourselves dipping fries and chips in it as well. Our only critique with these is the amount of salt sprinkled on top of the pretzels, it felt like a sodium overload, and we shook most of it off. 

Honorable Mentions:

Other dishes that some of the group enjoyed were the Chicken Quesadillas and the White Queso Dip and Chips. The Chicken Quesadillas were a delicious appetizer that only 2 people in the group tried, but both loved. They were quite flavorful and by themselves were great. However, the salsa they came with was not remarkable, as it was chunky and the flavor was mediocre. The White Queso Dip and Chips was another dish that only two people decided to try. The queso is mild in spice level, but was still quite tasty for those who tried it. 

For patrons of the restaurant who find themselves undecided on which appetizer to order, their most expensive is called The Classic Combo. Served as part of this appetizer are four quesadillas, four mozzarella sticks, four wings with four celery sticks, and the spinach artichoke dip and chips. Also provided are salsa for either the chips or the quesadillas as well as either ranch or blue cheese for the wings and celery. This is perfect for groups who want to try different items rather than order them all separately and it’s also perfect for individuals who want to taste a little bit of everything. 

The chain also offers 50% off certain appetizers at certain hours. 

If you’re in the mood for late night apps, consider getting together with a few people, splitting some appetizers table wide, and giving Applebee’s a shot.