Byte: Will this be the return of Vine?

Vines+co-founder+has+been+working+hard+to+create+a+new+app+similar+to+Vine%2C+called+Byte.++Byte+is+expected+to+be+released+in+the+early+spring+of+2019.++

Byte: Will this be the return of Vine?

Vines co-founder has been working hard to create a new app similar to Vine, called Byte.  Byte is expected to be released in the early spring of 2019.

Vines co-founder has been working hard to create a new app similar to Vine, called Byte. Byte is expected to be released in the early spring of 2019.

Millions were stunned when they heard of the shut down of the app Vine in 2016.  After raking in 200 million users in 2012 alone, both creators and viewers were devastated when Vine was taken down in 2016. However, there is hope that a new Vine is making its way to the App Store.

For those unfamiliar with Vine, it was an application that allowed creators to make 6-second videos, which were often humor-based.  The app quickly became famous worldwide and started trends and sayings such as “What are those?” and “yeet” that are still popular among teens today.

After the closing of Vine, complaints stormed the internet.  Tweets such as, “Wow… @vine is deleting their app and shutting it down […] sad day considering it’s where I first grew a following on social media” came from Vine star, Lance Stewart, as well as many other celebrities that had the app.  Whether the uproar from fans was the reason for Vine 2 to come out or not, it is predicted that the application is coming out soon.

The creators of Vine have created a new app called Byte, according to smallbiztrends.com.  Dom Hoffman, the co-founder of Vine, tweeted that Byte is predicted to be released in the Spring of 2019.  However, other sources such as TechCrunch have said that this date is being postponed due to technical problems.

Byte, a new looping video app by the creator of Vine”

— Official Byte Website

Byte will be a looping video app, similar to Vine. The specific details of how the app will work have been sparse so far.  However, Byte does have a website where they are encouraging people to enter their email in order to sign up for new updates.  They also are hoping for potential creators to join its “creator program” to help the creators of Byte to build “the best video app out there.”    

The app is highly anticipated and according to the creators of Vine, should be coming soon, with new, unreleased features.  While details so far of the app have been little to none, the anticipation is high.  With both creators and users anxious to see if Byte will be able to become the next generations Vine.  

Parker Shabala, staff writer

Parker Shabala is a freshman at Carlisle Area High School and this is her first year of Periscope. She is a section staff writer this year.  At CHS, she...