Starting early: opportunities for students to job shadow

Matthew Prestgaard goes over lesson plans while Biology teacher Jimmy Wilkinson helps students. Prestgaard has been helping Wilkinson teach AP Biology.

Verity Stine

Sometimes it just takes one day to improve your success in the future. Job shadowing is the practice of observing someone in a profession that you may want to pursue, in order to further understand how the job works.

While Carlisle High School does not formally have job shadowing opportunities, students often go to counselors to find opportunities. Also, students may assist a teacher at the high school with a class as long as they have taken the highest level class available within that subject.

“Students often times will come to us and […] then we make it happen,” said Head High School Counselor Johanna Jones.

During the school year, opportunities may occur for students to be selected to go and get a taste of the career field they might want to pursue.

Jones sees the benefits that students gain from a job shadowing experience.

“[Students] see what that career field is like on a day to day bases, that maybe it’s just not all fun and games,”  said Jones.

Sophomore Madison Richwine was selected to go and participate in, The Future of Healthcare Academy at Holy Spirit Hospital.  She is planning to pursue a career in the medical field after high school.

“I hope to gain a better knowledge of the opportunities available to me,” said Richwine.  

Often, career fields are full of opportunities for students that they might not know about or fully understand. Job shadowing can give students a time to discuss one-on-one with a professional what they could be doing now to help themselves to pursue the career they want.  

Senior Sarah Smith is planning to pursue music education for upper levels, but job shadowed a music teacher for younger kids.

“I didn’t know how they taught music to little kids, so that was really cool,” said Smith.

Smith is planning on going back to the school and getting to teach a lesson, to the kids.  Like Smith, many students take it upon themselves to go and look for opportunities to shadow in a career field that they want to pursue.  

Senior Jamie Hafner went to the Hershey Theater and shadowed the venue manager for a day.  She is interested in getting to work on the business end of theater and wanted to understand fully what she could be doing as a potential career.

“It was just amazing to getting to learn about the rich history and what goes on behind the scenes in the theater that I’ve gone to for years,” said Hafner.  

Job shadowing is a beneficial experience for anyone who chooses to have this experience.  It can be an eye-opening experience, to see what really happens day to day in a job that a student might plan to pursue after high school.  

About the Contributors
Abigail Lindsay, Student Life writer
Abigail Lindsay is a sophomore and she is excited to be on the Periscope staff for the first time.  She is excited to be joining the Periscope staff this year and getting to see a different perspective of Carlisle High School.  She plays softball here at CHS.  When she is not in school, she enjoys...
Verity Stine, Student Life Editor
Verity Stine is an outgoing and friendly senior at Carlisle High School. This is her first year on staff for Periscope. The role of Student Life Editor fits her well as she enjoys being in a position of leadership. She loves dancing, singing, reading, and watching football. She is a member of Senior Class Council...
1 Comment

One Response to “Starting early: opportunities for students to job shadow”

1. Michael Mayberry on May 24th, 2018 10:02 am

Well written. I agree that this is a great opportunities for students. This can help students that are not positive with what they want to do after high school. This can also help students that know what they want to do. They can go and get started early getting the training they need. This helped me to become a fulltime EMT before even graduating high school.

[Reply]

• Starting early: opportunities for students to job shadow

Student Life

Finishing strong: the effects of senioritis

Student Life

Get checked out: the pros and cons of physical exams

Student Life

Keeping the fun close: students’ favorite local summer hangouts

Contests

Get to know your 2017-18 Oracle (Contest)

Student Life

Feeling SAD: Seasonal affective disorder impacts students

Media

Joining the Herd: advice for incoming freshmen (Video)

Student Life

Across the spectrum: understanding autism in high school students

Student Life

The real “Mr. FBI man”: trendy joke or threat to privacy?

Student Life

Doors shut to bring safety to CHS

Student Life

Voices louder than gunfire: March For Our Lives 2018