PowerSchool app: the tool that never was (Editorial)

PowerSchool sends popup notifications to students phones, as well as the app showing live updates of grades.

Cameron Fritz

Cameron Fritz

What are your thoughts on PowerSchool notifications?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In the Carlisle Area School District, students and parents are able to monitor grades through a program called PowerSchool. Earlier this decade, the company released a mobile app so that users could monitor their grades instantaneously. While this app is meant to aid families, in recent years, the resource has proved to be a substantial distraction.

The PowerSchool app, just like many social media platforms, provides users with live updates. This application shows students their grades immediately as they are put into the program. The various assignments added by teachers show students an average grade for each class. Contrary to the intention of the app, students often view these grades as if they are final. This reality results in mass confusion for students and parents and a constant headache for teachers.

Freshman Cameron Lyons is new to the district and used a different system at his former school. Lyons explained how he is not a fan of the system his new school uses.

“The PowerSchool app really creates a lot of unneeded stress for me,” said Lyons. “For example, I was absent from school for a day earlier this year, and I had several assignments entered into PowerSchool as zeros even though I had not yet been given the assignment. My average grades all dropped, and I had a bit of a panic attack. Even though my grades would eventually change, the app was still able to deceive me at the moment.”

Teachers, on the other hand, have to deal with a whole different side of the issue. When teachers finish grading an assignment, they enter points directly into PowerSchool, mostly as a form of organization.

CHS French teacher, Cynthia Lathrop, expressed her opinion on the application.

“I see firsthand how much of a stressor PowerSchool can be for students,” Lathrop said. “Immediately after I enter an assignment, I get emails from students asking why they got a certain grade, or why their grade was not put in at all. I then have to explain to them exactly why they earned the grade they receive, or that I simply have not gotten to their assignment yet.”

The PowerSchool app also provides its users with popup notifications, which often are a distraction to students within themselves. A study published by an organization called Localystics showed that app notifications boost user engagement 88%. This means that students are much more likely to check the PowerSchool app, due to the fact that the program automatically enables instant notifications.

The bottom line is, the PowerSchool app can be helpful to students, but obsessing over grades can be nothing more than a hindrance. If students successfully complete their work and study for their tests, worrying about PowerSchool is merely a distraction.

Disclaimer: Articles designated as “Editorial” represent the views and opinions of the author, not the 2018-2019 Periscope staff, CHS/CASD administration, or the CHS student body.

Carter Smith, Staff Writer

Carter Smith is a freshman at Carlisle High School. Although he just started high school, he is already immersing himself in several extracurricular activities...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “PowerSchool app: the tool that never was (Editorial)”

1. Grace Colestock on March 21st, 2019 10:59 am

I think I have to agree that PowerSchool can be the root of a lot of stress for students. We like to have quick access to our grades and to be able to know immediately what we got on a test, but at the same time, it isn’t always helpful. It can be consuming when we are constantly worried about checking PowerSchool and wondering what our grades are. I think it is important to find a balance between checking our grades, and taking a break from PowerSchool.

2. Abbey Birely on March 21st, 2019 12:27 pm

Power School I swear is the bane of my existence. I mean yeah what kid doesn’t stress out over grades, but the formatting and the way it is set up doesn’t necessarily help when your mom grounds you every week for a single F on any assignment within that week, which is A LOT harder than anyone would ever think. especially when the grade date is the day it gets put in not the day it was actually taken.
    Power School as definitely made me acknowledge my grades more and work to figure out what is wrong, but the fact that they can change instantly over a minor mistake on either the teachers part or students part, causes A TON of stress.
    but on the other hand the fact it actually shows you what the assignment was and how it can effect your grade can be begrudgingly helpful..

3. Jacob Bream on March 21st, 2019 5:46 pm

I can say that I always check my Powerschool, sort of like it was another social media platform. Also, I get very uneasy as notifications come up on my phone from powerschool. I think that powerschool should only be accessible online, that way students do not get stressed when a notification pops up.

• PowerSchool app: the tool that never was (Editorial)

Perspectives

Thank you for your service (Editorial)

Perspectives

Schoology: Helpful or hurtful? (Editorial)

Perspectives

Not adding up to success: We need to set new grade expectations (Editorial)

Perspectives

Comforts of Carlisle: What makes it home (Editorial)

Perspectives

Digital Creation: The new horizon of music (Editorial)

Perspectives

Cultural awareness: More attention needs to be given to Black History Month (Editorial)

Is this the real life or is this just fantasy? Junior Achievement presents Real Life

Perspectives

Winter wonderland: Inside snow day decision making (Editorial)

Perspectives

Teen voting: Why it matters (Editorial)

Perspectives

Where have all the male teachers gone? (Editorial)