Did You Know?
  • May 28Seniors Last Day Is THIS THURSDAY

Drowning In Creativity: Billie Eilish’s HIT ME HARD AND SOFT review

Billie Eilish, a relatively young famous singer and songwriter, has made a significant mark in the music industry in the past 9 years. Her defining dark lyrics and unique production have made her a staple and inspiration for new generations. She has won 9 Grammys, released 3 albums and 2 EPs along with various singles, and has made music for multiple movies and TV shows like Barbie and 13 Reasons Why. Eilish’s new studio album HIT ME HARD AND SOFT  has impacted fans worldwide favorably.

HIT ME HARD AND SOFT takes on an alternative genre with honest and raw lyrics. Eilish combats many of her own struggles with her lyrics in past works. She has previously written various songs about mental health, tough relationships, and more, but this album takes on a new layer of genuineness. The production, cohesiveness, vulnerability, and creativity give this album a prominent rating. 

The album opens with “SKINNY,” an extremely emotional song with touching lyrics. It delves into an issue many people deal with, equaling worth with thinness. Eilish writes, “People say I look happy/ just because I got skinny/ but the old me is still me and maybe the real me/ and I think she’s pretty.” The lyrics go in depth about the societal pressures on mental health and Eilish’s journey to self-acceptance. The production is a soft guitar along with mellow harmonies in the background. It concludes with a soft orchestral sound, which retells the song’s emotions excellently. 

Following, the second track, “LUNCH” is a more upbeat and sensual vibe. It explores sexuality and boldness, as Eilish describes a relationship between her and an unnamed woman. The lyrics state, “and I could never get enough/ I could buy her so much stuff/ It’s a craving not a crush.” The production takes on a 1980s groove and the lyrics bring a spunky and fun vibe to the record, which Eilish is very familiar with. 

“CHIHRO” is inspired by the main character of the 2001 movie Spirited Away. Eilish remarks, “The song is loosely based off of that movie, which is one of my favorites” in an interview with Rolling Stone. It is a mix of the main character’s point of view and hers. The inspiration taken from the movie along with Eilish’s creativity make this song a fan favorite. 

“BIRDS OF A FEATHER” recounts an inseparable bond between two people, even after death. It opens with “I want you to stay/ till I’m in the grave/ till I rot away, dead and buried.” She then elucidates how the bond is inseparable and her love for this person will never go away. The sweetness of the song gives another feel to the album that only Eilish is capable of encapsulating so well.

My personal favorite, “WILDFLOWER,” arguably one of the most emotional tracks of the album, depicts how it feels to be in love with someone who was previously in love with someone else. The never-ending feeling of jealousy and comparison is perfectly explained in this song with the lyrics and soft and slow production. The last 30 seconds of the song go into a deep and melancholy sound, which encapsulates the bitterness of these feelings that many listeners know all too well. Eilish writes, “But I see her/ in the back of my mind/ all the time.” This song is a truly heartbreaking listen for anyone. 

The next track “THE GREATEST” is another tearjerker, as Eilish seems to do best. It portrays just how unbearable it is to love someone even when it is not reciprocated. Throughout the song, Eilish explains how even when she treated this person with love and admiration, they did not reciprocate it. Her soft and angelic voice makes this song another heartbreak. The bridge of this song is worth noting, as it has a chilling beat drop and great vocals.

“L’AMOUR DE MA VIE” and “THE DINER” are two of the more upbeat tracks on the album. However, the lyrics are still upsetting in “L’AMOUR DE MA VIE”, as she explains her feelings about her old partner post-breakup. She retracts that they were the love of her life, and exclaims that she feels betrayed because they moved on so fast. “THE DINER” is sung from the point of view of a stalker, which makes the production sound all the more creepy. She writes, “I’m waitin’ on your block/ but please don’t call the cops.” The eerie background vocals also help to capture the emotions she, or in this case the narrator, is feeling. These two songs are a must-listen when looking at her discography.

The second to last track “BITTERSUITE” has an electric production and deep lyrics. The title is a wordplay on the word bittersweet, possibly meaning she was left alone feeling bitter in a hotel suite. Eilish has been open about her struggles with mental health through music and interviews, and this song goes in depth about how she may have been feeling behind closed doors. 

Closing track “BLUE” has been anticipated by fans since it was leaked on February 1st, 2022. It is yet another emotional song, but it also has many hidden easter eggs inside of it. She uses other track names like “BIRDS OF A FEATHER” to depict feelings of loneliness and despair. It describes trying to move on from a lover she was once emotionally attached to, which can be a very rocky road for many people. This was a perfect way to end the album, as it sums up every emotion spoken about in the record.

Billie Eilish is arguably one of the most talented and creative artists to gain fame in this generation. Her songwriting is unmatchable, and HIT ME HARD AND SOFT deserves a significant amount of recognition.