Doors shut to bring safety to CHS

Doors shut to bring safety to CHS

Students recently received notice of the new closed campus policy. It was implemented March 1, 2018.

Maddison Young

Maddison Young

This year, with the number of incidents occurring at public schools, we finally sat down with everyone involved and decided that we had to go to a closed campus

— Jay Rauscher

Goodbye clear blue skies and hello crowded hallways.

Carlisle High School said goodbye to the open campus policy.  While at first, students may not have been so welcoming to the closed campus policy, they have learned to adapt. They are beginning to understand why the decision was made.   

The open campus policy allowed students to walk outside from building to building in between classes.  This not only allowed students to get some fresh air on a nice day but also allowed them to avoid walking through the often crowded, congested hallways.

Besides the moment of fresh air, benefits include getting to classes faster than when they would walk inside.

“I felt that it gave me more time to get to my classes because I didn’t have to worry about other students in the hallway,” said senior Rachelle Renninger.  

However, the doors have now been shut, and students must travel inside between classes.  Walking outside is now considered an act of insubordination and will have consequences to follow.  At first, the reaction from the student body was a mixture of emotions, ranging from anger to understanding.

“Considering the fact that I would walk outside daily, it is constantly annoying,” sophomore Shannon Keller said. “I understand the school safety issue but students are allowed to go outside during gym classes and walkouts, so why not between classes.”

However, even with some students not fully on board with the new closed campus policy, the decision is final. This can be a hard adjustment because of the history of having an open campus.

Jay Rauscher, head principal of Carlisle High School, has been at CHS for 11 years now. As long as Rauscher has been here, the school has maintained an open campus policy.

Rauscher talked about how the school looks at the safety of the school on a regular basis.  The school also maintains contact with the local law enforcement.

“This year, with the number of incidents occurring at public schools, we finally sat down with everyone involved and decided that we had to go to a closed campus,” said Rauscher.

Time has passed since the campus was switched over, and students have adapted to the new policy.  The school aims to keep students safe while they are at school, and this was a policy that was put in place to make the school a safer place for the students.

About the Contributors
Abigail Lindsay, A&E Editor

Abigail Lindsay is currently a junior and she is excited to be on the Periscope staff for a second year.  She will be the editor for the A&E section...

Maddison Young, A&E Writer

Maddison Young is a first year staff member and is a senior this year.  She is the junior editor of the Arts and Entertainment section.  She did Oracle...

1 Comment

One Response to “Doors shut to bring safety to CHS”

1. William Cantwell on April 26th, 2018 2:44 pm

Its been a few weeks of the closed campus being enforced, and honestly all I want to say is that it’s really frustrating and unenjoyable to be cramped into the halls and not able to be outside.

• Doors shut to bring safety to CHS

To commit or not to commit: The difference between Early Action and Early Decision

• Doors shut to bring safety to CHS

“A Brief Inquiry” into The 1975’s new album (Review)

• Doors shut to bring safety to CHS

Perspectives

Building barriers: Why Science Fair and History Day shouldn’t be mandatory (Editorial)

• Doors shut to bring safety to CHS

Baking to make things brighter: Students support the community through Project SHARE

• Doors shut to bring safety to CHS

Glossing it up: McGowan gymnasium ready for use after months of renovations (Photos)

• Doors shut to bring safety to CHS

Sports

Kicking cancer: Richwine raises money for kids

• Doors shut to bring safety to CHS

Sports

November Athlete of the Month: Jessalyn Morrow

• Doors shut to bring safety to CHS

Sports

Early College Signing 2018 (photo)

• Doors shut to bring safety to CHS

Perspectives

Trying to do it all (Editorials)

• Doors shut to bring safety to CHS

Brewing up the First Cup: behind the scenes at Coffeehouse

Doors shut to bring safety to CHS