• March 19Sign-ups for Senior Trip end 3/27 and forms can be turned into Mr. Bigelow in M202.

Baking to make things brighter: Students support the community through Project SHARE

Junior MJ Brown and sophomore Mabel Sheesley scoop chocolate chip cookie dough onto baking sheets.  Student Council made 130 dozen cookies for this year's Project Share collection.

Junior MJ Brown and sophomore Mabel Sheesley scoop chocolate chip cookie dough onto baking sheets. Student Council made 130 dozen cookies for this year's Project Share collection.

Vera Erfle

Vera Erfle

Vera Erfle

The holiday season is underway, and many students at Carlisle High School are embracing the season of giving, by baking cookies for the community this December.

These cookies, made by classes and clubs at CHS, were delivered to Project SHARE Mon Dec 10, then delivered to the less-fortunate in the Carlisle community in the weeks ahead.

One of the groups participating in this year’s cookie drive is Student Council, which is made up of 30 members. Each member was responsible for 6 dozen cookies, which means the Student Council donated over 2,000 cookies to families in need.

Cheney Thompson, a freshman and member of Student Council, is one of the students who participated in the cookie drive.

“I think this is a really cool thing that we are doing for the community,” Thompson said. “I am glad to be a part of a school who wants to put others first during the holidays.”

The National Honor Society, lead by Kim Felknor-Edwards and James Wilkinson, is also participating in this community service project.

Emma Gillum, the president of the National Honors of Society, is enthusiastic about the organization’s participation in the event.

“Project SHARE is such an amazing cause, and it feels great knowing that some aspect of stress will be lifted off someone during the holidays,” said Gillum.

Even some classes are getting involved in the cookie drive, including Sandra Stalnaker’s Family Consumer Science class. Her classes made a variety of treats, including chocolate chip and snickerdoodle cookies, with a goal of making over 200 dozen items.

Avery Gallahue, a CHS freshman and member of Stalnaker’s class, appreciated the school’s efforts to help those in need.

“I am glad that this school is participating in a project that can impact the community so positively,” Gallahue said. “Although cookies may be small in size, I’m sure they will brighten the faces of many people this holiday season.”

Carter Smith, Staff Writer

Carter Smith is a freshman at Carlisle High School. Although he just started high school, he is already immersing himself in several extracurricular activities...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Baking to make things brighter: Students support the community through Project SHARE”

1. Maddie on January 9th, 2019 8:56 am

I’m really glad I got to be a part of this!! I think it was a great way for the high school to help our community. I hope that we continue to do events like this in the future.

2. Dyamond Jones on January 14th, 2019 9:13 pm

Project Share has always been a great organization that many students are eager to help. The local charity organization helps so many individuals, it’s great to see how the volunteer work of students help people in the community.

• Baking to make things brighter: Students support the community through Project SHARE

Keeping students safe: new school security measures put into place

A ‘latte’ goodbyes: Preparing for the Last Drop

Thundering Herd takes on Regional History Day

Remembering Kyle: Scholarship to be dedicated in memory of CHS alum

Mind the gap: Addressing the $3 million budget gap

Is this the real life or is this just fantasy? Junior Achievement presents Real Life

Arming against the epidemic: How CHS combats a culture of sexual violence

Cleaning up our act: Green Team aims to make CHS more environmentally friendly

Goodbye, Nittany Lions: Penn State classes no longer available at CHS

Better ‘safe’ than sorry: New program hopes to protect PA students