• January 10The Carlisle Area School District will be closed January 21 for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.

• January 10Winterball will take place on Saturday, January 26, from 7-10 pm.

• January 10WinterWeek is back, and will take place from January 22 to January 25.

Baking to make things brighter: Students support the community through Project SHARE

Carter Smith

More stories from Carter Smith

Graham Lively
November 9, 2018
Emma Den Hoed
November 2, 2018

Junior MJ Brown and sophomore Mabel Sheesley scoop chocolate chip cookie dough onto baking sheets.  Student Council made 130 dozen cookies for this year's Project Share collection.

Junior MJ Brown and sophomore Mabel Sheesley scoop chocolate chip cookie dough onto baking sheets. Student Council made 130 dozen cookies for this year's Project Share collection.

Vera Erfle

Vera Erfle

Vera Erfle

The holiday season is underway, and many students at Carlisle High School are embracing the season of giving, by baking cookies for the community this December.

These cookies, made by classes and clubs at CHS, were delivered to Project SHARE Mon Dec 10, then delivered to the less-fortunate in the Carlisle community in the weeks ahead.

One of the groups participating in this year’s cookie drive is Student Council, which is made up of 30 members. Each member was responsible for 6 dozen cookies, which means the Student Council donated over 2,000 cookies to families in need.

Cheney Thompson, a freshman and member of Student Council, is one of the students who participated in the cookie drive.

“I think this is a really cool thing that we are doing for the community,” Thompson said. “I am glad to be a part of a school who wants to put others first during the holidays.”

The National Honor Society, lead by Kim Felknor-Edwards and James Wilkinson, is also participating in this community service project.

Emma Gillum, the president of the National Honors of Society, is enthusiastic about the organization’s participation in the event.

“Project SHARE is such an amazing cause, and it feels great knowing that some aspect of stress will be lifted off someone during the holidays,” said Gillum.

Even some classes are getting involved in the cookie drive, including Sandra Stalnaker’s Family Consumer Science class. Her classes made a variety of treats, including chocolate chip and snickerdoodle cookies, with a goal of making over 200 dozen items.

Avery Gallahue, a CHS freshman and member of Stalnaker’s class, appreciated the school’s efforts to help those in need.

“I am glad that this school is participating in a project that can impact the community so positively,” Gallahue said. “Although cookies may be small in size, I’m sure they will brighten the faces of many people this holiday season.”

Carter Smith, Staff Writer

Carter Smith is a freshman at Carlisle High School. Although he just started high school, he is already immersing himself in several extracurricular activities...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Baking to make things brighter: Students support the community through Project SHARE”

1. Maddie on January 9th, 2019 8:56 am

I’m really glad I got to be a part of this!! I think it was a great way for the high school to help our community. I hope that we continue to do events like this in the future.

2. Dyamond Jones on January 14th, 2019 9:13 pm

Project Share has always been a great organization that many students are eager to help. The local charity organization helps so many individuals, it’s great to see how the volunteer work of students help people in the community.

• Baking to make things brighter: Students support the community through Project SHARE

Revisiting favorite flavors: Coffeehouse alums return for the Classic Roast

Bison Buck cashes out

A season of giving: CHS students help others during holiday season

New and improved? WiFi updated at CHS

To commit or not to commit: The difference between Early Action and Early Decision

Nearly nurses: CHS students complete CNA classes

Glossing it up: McGowan gymnasium ready for use after months of renovations (Photos)

Brewing up the First Cup: behind the scenes at Coffeehouse

Homecoming heroes: CHS class councils prepare for first dance of the year

Continuing the SAGA: Sexuality and Gender Acceptance club hosts kickoff breakfast