Did You Know?

Staff Profile
Andrew Bordner
Andrew Bordner
Staff Writer

What-to-Watch: Must See Halloween Movies

Myana
Part of Target’s Halloween decor display in their seasonal section.

The leaves are falling, the air is chilly, and spooky season is here. It’s that time of year where people begin spending more time inside, cuddled up on the couch watching movies. Here are a few of my favorite films that are a perfect October watch, including both family and horror movies. 

It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966)

Rating: TV-G

Runtime: 25m

Genre(s): Animation, Comedy, Family

Starring: Peter Robbins (voice), Christopher Shea (voice), and Sally Dryer (voice)

Where To Watch: Apple TV

About: Charlie Brown and friends have a Halloween party, except Linus decides not to join. Instead, he sits in the local pumpkin patch and awaits the arrival of the mythical Great Pumpkin, believing that he delivers presents to everyone on Halloween night.

Coraline (2009)

Rating: PG

Runtime: 1h 40m

Genre(s): Animation, Drama, Family

Starring: Dakota Fanning (voice), Teri Hatcher (voice), John Hodgman (voice)

Where To Watch: Max

About: Coraline moves to a new house and feels lonely, so she decides to explore the house and discovers a secret tunnel to another world. At night she travels there and feels as though she is living a great life, until she finds out that it was a trick and used to lure her. 

Halloween (1978)

Rating: R

Runtime:1h 31m

Genre(s): Horror, Thriller

Starring: Donald Pleasence, Jamie Lee Curtis, Tony Moran

Where to Watch: AMC+

About: Michael Myers murdered his sister as a child and is institutionalized. He breaks out 15 years later to return to Haddonfield and spends all of Halloween night chasing down Babysitter Laurie Strode, unbeknownst to why he is targeting her, killing anyone who gets in the way. 

Hocus Pocus (1993)

Rating: PG
Runtime: 1h 36m

Genre(s): Comedy, Family, Fantasy
Starring: Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kathy Najimy

Where to Watch: Disney+, Hulu
About: 300 year-old witches are returned to Earth due to a spell being broken by a teenage boy. The witch sisters have until sunrise to gain their place back on Earth, while the teen boy, his crush, and his sister work to stop them. 

The Craft (1996)

Rating: R
Runtime: 1h 41m

Genre(s): Drama, Fantasy, Horror
Starring: Robin Tunney, Fairuza Balk, Neve Campbell

Where to Watch: Hulu
About: Sarah, the new girl in town, is drawn to a group of wannabe witches. Their powers grow and each girl becomes more and more power hungry, leading to extreme consequences.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Rating: R
Runtime: 1h 31m

Genre(s): Horror
Starring: Heather Langenkamp, Johnny Depp, Robert Englund

Where to Watch: Max
About: Nancy Thompson is haunted in her dreams by a disfigured Freddy Krueger. He picks her friends off one by one, until it becomes her job to defeat him and to save others from their own worst nightmares. 

Scream (1996)

Rating: R
Runtime: 1h 51m

Genre(s): Horror, Mystery
Starring: Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox, David Arquette

Where to Watch: AMC+, Paramount+
About: Sidney begins receiving strange phone calls from an unknown number, asking trivial questions. It turns out to be a masked serial killer who is coming after both her and her friends. 

Beetlejuice (1988)

Rating: PG
Runtime:1h 32m

Genre(s): Comedy, Fantasy
Starring: Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis, Michael Keaton, Winona Ryder

Where to Watch: Prime Video

About: A new family moves into a dead couple’s house and the ghosts make it their mission to rid the house of mortals. Their plan backfires, so they summon Beetlejuice, another spirit, but his help quickly becomes dangerous.

Halloweentown (1998)

Rating: TV-G
Runtime: 1h 24m

Genre(s): Adventure, Comedy, Family
Starring: Debbie Reynolds, Jon Cooksey, Kimberly J. Brown, Judith Hoag

Where to Watch: Disney+
About: On Halloween night, Marnie and her siblings sneak out of the home and travel with their Grandma to Halloweentown. Discovering that all of them are witches and their mom kept it from them their whole life. An evil force begins attacking the town and Marnie, Dylan, and Sophie  must step up to save everyone.

Fear Street Trilogy (2021)

Rating: R
Runtime: 1h 47m, 1h 49m, 1h 54m

Genre(s): Drama, Horror, Mystery
Starring: Kiana Maderia, Olivia Scott Welch, Benjamin Flores Jr., Sadie Sink, Emily Rudd, Ashley Zuckerman, Gillian Jacobs

Where to Watch: Netflix
About: The trilogy follows the story of Shadyside, a town that has a long history of mass murders that date back to the 1600s. Two teen girls discover that a curse was placed on the town a very long time ago by a witch named Sarah Fier, causing the mass murders, so they work together to break the curse. Along the way, they uncover many dark secrets that have been buried deep for years.