Trainor drops ‘That Bass’ in debut album (Review)

Courtesy of Billboard Music

"Title," released early January 2015, includes Trainor's hits, "All About That Bass" and "Lips are Movin'"

At a Glance

Album title: Title

Artist: Meghan Trainor

Released: Jan 9, 2015

Label: Epic Records

Official website: http://www.meghan-trainor.com

Meghan Trainor recently dropped her debut album, Title, on January 9 of this year. The album quickly went to #1 on the Billboard 200 and it topped Australia’s music charts.

Title is a source of female empowerment and love for your body image. The album’s sound is inspired by Trainor’s love for 1950s and 1960s eras in music. The album starts with a cute interlude titled “The Best Part” in which Trainor sings about how good it is to be a singer. “Close You Eyes” is a modern slow dance ballad and the lyrics express ignoring negativity and loving yourself.

The 6th track “Like I’m Gonna Lose You,” a duet between Trainor and John Legend, resembles a Motown-styled ballad about tender love. The top hits off of Title are “All About That Bass” which has gone 6x platinum in the US and “Lips Are Movin” which has also gone 2x platinum in the US.  These were released as singles almost a year prior to the album’s release.

“Dear Future Husband” and “Title” set out minimum standards for suitors. Meanwhile, “3 am” and “Walkashame” depict romantic missteps (drunken cellphone fails, and awkward one-night stand) with self-awareness.

One almost every track, you cant help but enjoy Meghan’s witty humor, sass, and old school rhythmic beats as she sings her heart-out about love and insecurity.

Chaela Williams, A&E writer/editor
Chaela is a member of the Periscope staff. It’s also her third year on  staff. She is a senior at CHS. She loves writing stories, watching anime, and going on social media. Chaela loves the color pink, and enjoys eating sushi and macarons. She loves reading fiction/fantasy novels. Chaela is currently in her 4th  year in the CHS marching band and...
2 Comments

2 Responses to “Trainor drops ‘That Bass’ in debut album (Review)”

1. Sydney Ritchie on February 3rd, 2015 1:42 pm

Very good article! I enjoy her music as well.

[Reply]

2. Kenleigh Peet on March 26th, 2015 12:54 pm

This is the first current song that I have enjoyed in a very long time! The beat is awesome and she sends a great message in her song.

[Reply]