• May 14The senior class' last day is May 23.

• May 14The honors banquet will take place on May 23 at 5:30 pm.

• May 14Senior Renaissance will take place on May 29 in the McGowan Auditiorium.

• May 14Matthew Oh placed first in the senior individual documentary category at state National History Day on May 10.

• May 14The 2019 edition of Oracle is availible for pickup in the cafeteria this week

• May 13Keystone Testing will take place this week (5/13-5/20). There will be an adjusted schedule most days.

Hiking into fall: trails of Carlisle

Hiking into fall: trails of Carlisle

Hawk Watch is a beautiful trail to hike in Carlisle. It leads you to a view of the valley.

Kate Muir

Kate Muir

Kate Muir

Hiking can be a wonderful way to stay active and enjoy the beautiful views our area has to offer. If you’re looking for something to do this fall, check out one of these hiking trails in the Carlisle area.

Hawk Watch:

Hawk Watch is a beautiful place to hike during the fall season because you can see the bright colors all over. There are two trails to choose from: the Hawk Trail, which is marked with an orange bird painted on the rocks and leads to the rocky outcrop, and the Songbird trail, which is marked with a yellow bird painted on the rocks. Both trails lead to a 180 degree view of Cumberland Valley.  

Sophomore Devon Harner said, “I love going to Hawk Watch because it makes me feel powerful being able to see everything for miles and miles, and the view is beautiful.”

Location: Waggoners Gap Rd, Landisburg, PA 17040

Pole Steeple:

Pole Steeple is a bit longer and more intense trail then Hawk Watch. There is two trails that you can choose from. The steeper trail is ¾ of a mile while the easier trial is a bit longer. At the very end of the trail you will have a beautiful view of the entire park.

Sophomore Jake Poser said, “I enjoy going hiking; it’s relaxing and rewarding. My favorite place to hike is definitely Pole Steeple. There are so many things to take pictures of on the trails.”

Location: 1100 Pine Grove Rd, Gardners, PA 17324

Kings Gap:

Jaydah Reasner, freshman at Big Spring High School, said, “Kings Gap is my go to hiking spot because they’re family and pet friendly.  I also like that they do group activities because it gives people a chance to meet others and make new friends.”

Kings Gap offers over 16 miles of different level hiking trails. The park also offers activities and programs for families or anybody interested in hiking or the outdoors. Remember to wear blaze orange because the areas are open to all types of hunters.

Location: 500 Kings Gap Road Carlisle, PA

About the Contributors
Releigh Norrell, Staff Writer

Releigh Norrell is currently a sophomore at Carlisle Area High School and this is her second year on staff. Releigh loves dogs and spending time with her...

Kate Muir, Adviser

This is Mrs. Muir's 10th year advising Periscope and she loves it more every year!