The Basics

Brooklyn Norrell, Student Life Editor

Brock Turner, a former student at Stanford University and also one of their star swimmers, was convicted of three felony counts of sexual assault and sentenced to only six months behind bars.

The conviction came from an assault that occurred on January 18 of 2015.  Turner was seen behind a dumpster at a fraternity house raping an unconscious, half naked classmate by two graduate students who chased after Turner and held him down until the police arrived.

Just a month later, on February 2 of 2015, Turner plead not guilty to the five felony charges filed against him.  Turner was charged attempted rape, rape of an intoxicated person, rape of an unconscious person, sexual penetration of an intoxicated woman, and sexual penetration of an unconscious woman.

“He alleged that the two were hooking up at the party and he only fondled her. He was released on $150,000 bail” according to Us Weekly.

On October 6 of 2015, Turner attended his preliminary hearing with his defense attorney where he again pleaded not guilty and had both the rape of an  intoxicated person and rape of an unconscious person charges dropped but would still stand trial for the other three convictions.

On March 30 of 2016, Turner was found guilty and could spend a maximum of ten years in prison.

On June 2 of 2016 Turner was sentenced to six months in prison, three years probation, and must register as a sex offended according to Judge Persky.

Persky reportedly stated that “a prison sentence would have a severe impact on him. I think he will not be a danger to others,” according to People Magazine.

On June 3 of 2016, the victim wrote a letter to Turner in which she spoke in front of the court and since then that letter has been published on several social media outlets.

The letter discusses the assault and the effect on not only her, but her family; the victim wrote, “You took away my worth, my privacy, my energy, my time, my intimacy, my confidence, my own voice, until today. The damage is done; no one can undo it.”

On June 5 of 2016, a letter from Brock Turner’s father, Dan Turner, emerged in which Dan Turner wrote, “That is a steep price to pay for 20 minutes of action out of his 20 plus years of life,” defending his son and pointing out that the court was overreacting in their conviction.

On June 6 of 2016 Michele Dauber, a Stanford law professor, created a change.org petition to recall Judge Persky because  of the light sentence he gave to Turner.

The petition states “Judge Persky failed to see that the fact that Brock Turner is a white male star athlete at a prestigious university does not entitle him to leniency. He also failed to send the message that sexual assault is against the law regardless of social class, race, gender or other factors.”

On September 2 of 2016 Turner was released from prison, after only serving half of his original sentence due to good behavior; this led to a public outrage.

On September 3 of 2016 Turner’s family home in Ohio was swarmed by protesters in which the Turner family called the police to handle the situation.

Currently, Turner is staying in Ohio where he must register as a sex offender and keep registering every 90 days for the rest of his life.

According to CNN, “anyone living within 1,250 feet of Turner’s address will be notified with a postcard. And he will not be allowed to live within 1,000 feet of schools or playgrounds, the sheriff said.”

USA swimming has banned Turner for life. He also must complete three years probation and enter a sex offender management program.