Filed under Sports

Flying forward: Catching up with CHS athletic alumni

Deshawn Millington dribbles down the court while playing in a game his senior year.  Millington is one of CHS' athletes that went on to play at the collegiate level.

Deshawn Millington dribbles down the court while playing in a game his senior year. Millington is one of CHS' athletes that went on to play at the collegiate level.

Geoffrey Shearer

Geoffrey Shearer

Geoffrey Shearer

Carlisle has had a number of decorated athletes to come through the halls.   From California to North Carolina, former student-athletes are scattered across the country.

Former standout track jumper and basketball player Deshawn Millington (’17) is currently a basketball player at Mt. San Jacinto College in California.  

“We just finished a solid [basketball] season with a winning record,”  Millington said.

Millington spoke about his experiences at CHS.

“My favorite memory of playing for Carlisle was playing in front of the Carlisle Crazies and thousands of people.”   

However, Millington also enjoys the different atmosphere of college basketball.  

“My favorite memory of college so far is making first-team all-conference my sophomore year, and my ultimate goal for college is to get my bachelor’s degree,” Millington said.                 

Another former top-performer at CHS is distance runner Matt Wisner (’16), who is currently tearing it up at Duke University.  Wisner was a PIAA State champion in the 1600 meter run.

“My favorite memories of running at Carlisle was remembering how close the team was and how much dedication everyone put forward during practice,” Wisner said.  

These past memories from Carlisle are different than those at Duke when running ACC Conference.  

“My favorite memories so far at Duke was whenever I set the Duke record for the 8oo meters at the ACC championships,” Wisner said.  “The goal though is to get my degree from a great school like Duke. “

Maddison Young (’18) is yet another CHS alum who is succeeding at the next level of athletics.  She is currently a freshman attending Shepherd University, playing lacrosse.

“My favorite memories of playing at CHS was the competitiveness of the team and the bus rides to and from games,” Young said.  

While also a member of the girls swim team and field hockey team, Young was a major part of the girls’ lacrosse team at CHS last year and is enjoying her first season so far at Shepherd.  

“So far my favorite memory has to be my first game this year because I was so nervous and excited before it and I played well,” Young said.

CHS has had excellent athletes in recent years go on and excel in college athletics.   To see where other CHS athletes will go to further their collegiate endeavors, check out the related stories below. 

Michael Raphael, Staff writer

Michael Raphael is currently a freshman at Carlisle Area High School, and this is his first year on Periscope staff. He will write for various sections...