• March 19Sign-ups for Senior Trip end 3/27 and forms can be turned into Mr. Bigelow in M202.

The Herd Stampede: CHS wrestling begins season with a stomp on their opponents

Trentin+Walker+competes+against+Cumberland+Valley+on+Dec+12.++Walker+is+one+of+the+freshmen+competing+on+the+varsity+team.++

Trentin Walker competes against Cumberland Valley on Dec 12.  Walker is one of the freshmen competing on the varsity team.

Trentin Walker competes against Cumberland Valley on Dec 12. Walker is one of the freshmen competing on the varsity team.

Vera Erfle

Vera Erfle

Vera Erfle

The 2018-2019 wrestling season is underway.  Ready to throw down some wins and tackle the opposition, the Herd started their season on Friday Dec 7 with a win against Lower Dauphin, 48-30.  The team then took on Cumberland Valley on Dec 12 where they lost through the tiebreaker.   

Freshmen wrestler Dayton Shoff will be wrestling in the 210-pound weight class this year and is looking forward to the season.

“I think our team will be a very competitive and solid team this year,” Shoff said.  “I’m really looking forward to the State College meet this year because of the bus ride and the competition.”

Another freshmen wrestler Trentin Walker is ready to embark on a successful season.

“I am wrestling 132 pounds and I’m looking forward to wrestling on the varsity team,”  Walker said. “I’m excited to perform at my best this season.”   

The Herd’s main goals are to go for a winning season and have individuals do well at tournaments. This goal has partially already been met, as the Carlisle team won the Carlisle Christmas Classic for the first time since 2003. Both Clayton Shughart (113) and Colton Jumper (145) won their weight class, along with six other members of the team placing in their weight classes.  

The team is dominated by seniors, but also have up and coming underclassman to help settle the balance. The new faces such as Shoff and others are ready to help the team now and in the future.

“We have a very talented group and 12 of the 14 weight classes [have] returning varsity starters in them and super talented freshmen to compliment them,” Wilson said.

Carlisle will be battle-tested throughout the season and have had a fair amount of bus fuel to use along the way.

“We are looking forward to facing CV to battle for the best team in the division, along with a rivalry match with West Perry for the Waggoners Gap Trophy which we have had recent success in the last 10 years in,” said Wilson.

The team will also be doing tournaments across the state along with a tournament in Hagerstown, Maryland.  The highlight of these being the Trojan Wars Tournament in Chambersburg,  an extremely competitive tournament with teams across the state.

The Herd will face Chambersburg on Dec 20.

Michael Raphael, Staff writer

Michael Raphael is currently a freshman at Carlisle Area High School, and this is his first year on Periscope staff. He will write for various sections...