• January 10The Carlisle Area School District will be closed January 21 for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.

• January 10Winterball will take place on Saturday, January 26, from 7-10 pm.

• January 10WinterWeek is back, and will take place from January 22 to January 25.

Bubbling to the top: Carlisle swimming splits meet with Boiling Spring

Swimmers from Carlisle and Boiling Springs create a human tunnel for senior night.  Carlisle split this meet with a boys win and girls loss.

Swimmers from Carlisle and Boiling Springs create a human tunnel for senior night. Carlisle split this meet with a boys win and girls loss.

Courtesy of Michelle Disbrow

Courtesy of Michelle Disbrow

Courtesy of Michelle Disbrow

On Thursday, January 25, The Carlisle Thundering Herd traveled to Boiling Springs to take on the South Middleton Bubblers in a swim meet.

The Carlisle boy’s swim team (5-5) placed first in all but three events.   Freshman Nolan Chenot won the 100-yard breaststroke.  The dual event stars, meaning they won both of their events, for the Herd were senior Devon Chenot, junior Isaiah Bell, and sophomore Casey Padgett; Devon won the 50-yard freestyle and the 100-yard fly, Bell won the 200-yard freestyle and the 100-yard freestyle, and Padgett won the 200-yard IM and the 100-yard back.

In Padgett’s 200-yard IM race, at 47 seconds into the heat, he started out strong and was in the lead.  At 1:52, he and another Boiling Springs swimmer were tied.  In the end, Padgett came out strong and placed first in the heat at 2:40.

Kelvin Trang, a senior swimmer said, “We did well overall.”

Out of all the races the strongest was the 50 Free.

Trang said, “There was a lot of good swimmers in the race including [Devon], Gary Blacksmith, and others.”

Multiple swimmers said that the Boys team needs to work on relay starts.

At halftime, the Bubblers had 22 points and the Herd had 38 points.  By the end of the meet, the Herd won with a final score of 109-75.

The Carlisle Girls swim team (3-7) also placed first in all but three events.  Junior Alice Messina won the 100-yard breaststroke.  The dual event stars were senior Maddison Young, sophomore Sierra Young, and freshman Lauren Musser.  Maddison Young won the 50-yard freestyle and the 100-yard backstroke, Sierra Young won the 200-yard IM and the 100-yard fly, and Musser won the 200-yard freestyle and the 500-yard freestyle.

At halftime, in the lead was Boing Springs with 32 points with the Herd trailing by 2 points with 30.  The final score for the girls meet was 107-75, in which the Bubblers took that win.

Mikayla Reed, a student from Boiling Springs, said, “The meet was a really good matchup.”

Also, a parent, Grace Metzger said, “It was a great showing on both teams.”

Although Carlisle didn’t win on both sides, overall it was a successful meet for each team, helping to set goals for the future.

Since this meet, the Herd completed against Cumberland Valley, losing 121-62 for the boys and 137-45 for the girls.  They will next compete in the Mid-Penn conference championship on Feb 9 and 10.

Cayla Abbey, Sports Writer

Cayla Abbey is currently a senior at Carlisle High School.  This is her first year on the Periscope staff.  This year she will be writing in the sports...

1 Comment

One Response to “Bubbling to the top: Carlisle swimming splits meet with Boiling Spring”

1. William Cantwell on February 15th, 2018 4:18 pm

This meet is one that I’m going to remember for years to come. Last year we took a tough loss to Boiling Springs, I can personally remember being dissapointed with myself for having lost my individual events of the 100 breast and 500 free to two Seniors at BS, both who are now at Ivy League schools (Jacob Rob-Prinston, Peter Greenbaum-Cornell). I think coming back this year and taking home the win, especially on the only Senior Night im gonna experience, really helped turn my attitude around. As a team, Boiling Springs has a lot more depth than our boys do, and knowing many members of the team personally really amped up the competitive atmosphere at the meet this year.

• Bubbling to the top: Carlisle swimming splits meet with Boiling Spring

Oscar Contenders of 2019

Revisiting favorite flavors: Coffeehouse alums return for the Classic Roast

18 songs that made 2018 (Playlist)

Bison Buck cashes out

A season of giving: CHS students help others during holiday season

Sports

The Herd Stampede: CHS wrestling begins season with a stomp on their opponents

The Grinch: Will it replace the original Christmas classic? (Review)

To commit or not to commit: The difference between Early Action and Early Decision

“A Brief Inquiry” into The 1975’s new album (Review)

Perspectives

Blast from the past: Resurgence of 80’s Fashion (Editorial)