• February 20 PMEA Regional Band starts February 22, 2018

• February 14The CHS musical, Big Fish, will run Feb 22-24

• February 12 Club Day is on February 14th

• February 9Carlisle Area School District will have make up days on Feb 19th and March 28th.

• February 8The CASEF Science Fair will be held off campus on February 28. This is an all-day event, and officially ends on March 1st, 2018.

• February 6The CHS Real Life is for juniors only. This get together event, will be held on February 28th, 2018 in the McGowan building.

• February 5CHS students will be participating in the Regional PJAS on February 24.

Bubbling to the top: Carlisle swimming splits meet with Boiling Spring

Swimmers from Carlisle and Boiling Springs create a human tunnel for senior night.  Carlisle split this meet with a boys win and girls loss.

Swimmers from Carlisle and Boiling Springs create a human tunnel for senior night. Carlisle split this meet with a boys win and girls loss.

Courtesy of Michelle Disbrow

Courtesy of Michelle Disbrow

On Thursday, January 25, The Carlisle Thundering Herd traveled to Boiling Springs to take on the South Middleton Bubblers in a swim meet.

The Carlisle boy’s swim team (5-5) placed first in all but three events.   Freshman Nolan Chenot won the 100-yard breaststroke.  The dual event stars, meaning they won both of their events, for the Herd were senior Devon Chenot, junior Isaiah Bell, and sophomore Casey Padgett; Devon won the 50-yard freestyle and the 100-yard fly, Bell won the 200-yard freestyle and the 100-yard freestyle, and Padgett won the 200-yard IM and the 100-yard back.

In Padgett’s 200-yard IM race, at 47 seconds into the heat, he started out strong and was in the lead.  At 1:52, he and another Boiling Springs swimmer were tied.  In the end, Padgett came out strong and placed first in the heat at 2:40.

Kelvin Trang, a senior swimmer said, “We did well overall.”

Out of all the races the strongest was the 50 Free.

Trang said, “There was a lot of good swimmers in the race including [Devon], Gary Blacksmith, and others.”

Multiple swimmers said that the Boys team needs to work on relay starts.

At halftime, the Bubblers had 22 points and the Herd had 38 points.  By the end of the meet, the Herd won with a final score of 109-75.

The Carlisle Girls swim team (3-7) also placed first in all but three events.  Junior Alice Messina won the 100-yard breaststroke.  The dual event stars were senior Maddison Young, sophomore Sierra Young, and freshman Lauren Musser.  Maddison Young won the 50-yard freestyle and the 100-yard backstroke, Sierra Young won the 200-yard IM and the 100-yard fly, and Musser won the 200-yard freestyle and the 500-yard freestyle.

At halftime, in the lead was Boing Springs with 32 points with the Herd trailing by 2 points with 30.  The final score for the girls meet was 107-75, in which the Bubblers took that win.

Mikayla Reed, a student from Boiling Springs, said, “The meet was a really good matchup.”

Also, a parent, Grace Metzger said, “It was a great showing on both teams.”

Although Carlisle didn’t win on both sides, overall it was a successful meet for each team, helping to set goals for the future.

Since this meet, the Herd completed against Cumberland Valley, losing 121-62 for the boys and 137-45 for the girls.  They will next compete in the Mid-Penn conference championship on Feb 9 and 10.

1 Comment

One Response to “Bubbling to the top: Carlisle swimming splits meet with Boiling Spring”

1. William Cantwell on February 15th, 2018 4:18 pm

This meet is one that I’m going to remember for years to come. Last year we took a tough loss to Boiling Springs, I can personally remember being dissapointed with myself for having lost my individual events of the 100 breast and 500 free to two Seniors at BS, both who are now at Ivy League schools (Jacob Rob-Prinston, Peter Greenbaum-Cornell). I think coming back this year and taking home the win, especially on the only Senior Night im gonna experience, really helped turn my attitude around. As a team, Boiling Springs has a lot more depth than our boys do, and knowing many members of the team personally really amped up the competitive atmosphere at the meet this year.

[Reply]

• Bubbling to the top: Carlisle swimming splits meet with Boiling Spring

Perspectives

Misconceptions of Mental Illnesses (Editorial)

Perspectives

Dear CHS: Teach me what I really need (Editorial)

Registration rights: CHS students participate in Inspire U.S.

Sports

Thank you seniors: Carlisle basketball brings the thunder against Waynesboro on Senior Night

Student Life

Pack it or sack it? Ideas for a healthy weekday lunch

Student Life

Rising stars: a look at the musical and how students prepare

Perspectives

Cyberbullying stops here: Wi-Fi restrictions keep school safe (Editorial)

Student Life

Get to know the 2018 Winterball Court

January’s What-to-Watch: 31 movies for 31 days

Student Life

Out with the old, in with the new laptops