Bubbling to the top: Carlisle swimming splits meet with Boiling Spring

Swimmers from Carlisle and Boiling Springs create a human tunnel for senior night.  Carlisle split this meet with a boys win and girls loss.

Swimmers from Carlisle and Boiling Springs create a human tunnel for senior night. Carlisle split this meet with a boys win and girls loss.

Courtesy of Michelle Disbrow

Courtesy of Michelle Disbrow

On Thursday, January 25, The Carlisle Thundering Herd traveled to Boiling Springs to take on the South Middleton Bubblers in a swim meet.

The Carlisle boy’s swim team (5-5) placed first in all but three events.   Freshman Nolan Chenot won the 100-yard breaststroke.  The dual event stars, meaning they won both of their events, for the Herd were senior Devon Chenot, junior Isaiah Bell, and sophomore Casey Padgett; Devon won the 50-yard freestyle and the 100-yard fly, Bell won the 200-yard freestyle and the 100-yard freestyle, and Padgett won the 200-yard IM and the 100-yard back.

In Padgett’s 200-yard IM race, at 47 seconds into the heat, he started out strong and was in the lead.  At 1:52, he and another Boiling Springs swimmer were tied.  In the end, Padgett came out strong and placed first in the heat at 2:40.

Kelvin Trang, a senior swimmer said, “We did well overall.”

Out of all the races the strongest was the 50 Free.

Trang said, “There was a lot of good swimmers in the race including [Devon], Gary Blacksmith, and others.”

Multiple swimmers said that the Boys team needs to work on relay starts.

At halftime, the Bubblers had 22 points and the Herd had 38 points.  By the end of the meet, the Herd won with a final score of 109-75.

The Carlisle Girls swim team (3-7) also placed first in all but three events.  Junior Alice Messina won the 100-yard breaststroke.  The dual event stars were senior Maddison Young, sophomore Sierra Young, and freshman Lauren Musser.  Maddison Young won the 50-yard freestyle and the 100-yard backstroke, Sierra Young won the 200-yard IM and the 100-yard fly, and Musser won the 200-yard freestyle and the 500-yard freestyle.

At halftime, in the lead was Boing Springs with 32 points with the Herd trailing by 2 points with 30.  The final score for the girls meet was 107-75, in which the Bubblers took that win.

Mikayla Reed, a student from Boiling Springs, said, “The meet was a really good matchup.”

Also, a parent, Grace Metzger said, “It was a great showing on both teams.”

Although Carlisle didn’t win on both sides, overall it was a successful meet for each team, helping to set goals for the future.

Since this meet, the Herd completed against Cumberland Valley, losing 121-62 for the boys and 137-45 for the girls.  They will next compete in the Mid-Penn conference championship on Feb 9 and 10.

Cayla Abbey, Sports Writer
Cayla Abbey is currently a senior at Carlisle High School.  This is her first year on the Periscope staff.  This year she will be writing in the sports section for the website and magazine.  This will be her fourth year on the Varsity Softball team.  She also plays on a travel team called the 18U...
1 Comment

One Response to “Bubbling to the top: Carlisle swimming splits meet with Boiling Spring”

1. William Cantwell on February 15th, 2018 4:18 pm

This meet is one that I’m going to remember for years to come. Last year we took a tough loss to Boiling Springs, I can personally remember being dissapointed with myself for having lost my individual events of the 100 breast and 500 free to two Seniors at BS, both who are now at Ivy League schools (Jacob Rob-Prinston, Peter Greenbaum-Cornell). I think coming back this year and taking home the win, especially on the only Senior Night im gonna experience, really helped turn my attitude around. As a team, Boiling Springs has a lot more depth than our boys do, and knowing many members of the team personally really amped up the competitive atmosphere at the meet this year.

• Bubbling to the top: Carlisle swimming splits meet with Boiling Spring

Brewing up the First Cup: behind the scenes at Coffeehouse

‘Next Gen’: futuristic friends and problems (Review)

Head of the Herd

Head of the Herd: Isaiah Bell

Student Life

Cover that shoulder: Student perspectives on the dress code

Student Life

Colds in Carlisle: What’s going around and how to avoid it

Sticking to their schedules: School’s drop-add rate at an all-time low

Brain boost: books to jumpstart your school year

Herd in the Halls

Herd in the Halls: the transition from paper to digital

Senior of the Week

Head of the Herd: Class of 2019

Keeping the past in mind: CHS student participates in the March of the Living