• May 14The senior class' last day is May 23.

• May 14The honors banquet will take place on May 23 at 5:30 pm.

• May 14Senior Renaissance will take place on May 29 in the McGowan Auditiorium.

• May 14Matthew Oh placed first in the senior individual documentary category at state National History Day on May 10.

• May 14The 2019 edition of Oracle is availible for pickup in the cafeteria this week

• May 13Keystone Testing will take place this week (5/13-5/20). There will be an adjusted schedule most days.

Under construction: McGowan gym gets renovated

The+McGowan+gym+trophy+cases+have+been+emptied+due+to+the+renovations.++The+new+gym+is+set+to+open+in+fall+of+2018.+

The McGowan gym trophy cases have been emptied due to the renovations.  The new gym is set to open in fall of 2018.

The McGowan gym trophy cases have been emptied due to the renovations. The new gym is set to open in fall of 2018.

Meg Tate

Meg Tate

Meg Tate

The last time Carlisle High School had a renovation was the Swartz weight room.  However, the renovations are coming to the McGowan building this year. CHS is renovating its Gene Evans Gymnasium.  School renovations have a huge impact on its students.

The new renovations include an expansion to the gym, which will contain a lot more seats and they are also putting a new gym floor in.  The school is also getting new locker rooms for the sports teams and for upperclassmen gym classes. They will continue them over the summer and will be finished by the fall of 2018.

Since starting at the beginning of spring sports, the renovation has made things a lot more difficult.  For example, boys volleyball had to play all of their home games at Wilson Middle School. Also, a lot of sports had to move their team rooms.

The renovations are certainly going to make things a lot more convenient for indoor sports but, not so much the spring sports.

“The spring sports sometimes need to practice inside due to poor weather and they might not get as much gym space as they would in McGowan,” said Brinley Foreman, who plays softball. “When we go in Swartz it’s always too small to do anything.”

Not only did these renovations affect spring sports this year but they also changed students P.E. classes.

Every student now has to go to the Swartz gymnasium to participate in gym.  Although this did not change much for Carlisle’s freshmen and sophomores, the renovations affect upperclassmen greatly.  The underclassmen were only affected is that their classes are much more crowded then they had been at the beginning of the year.  The gym classes are still separate in regards to staying with just their grade once class starts.

Most likely, juniors may have one or two classes in the Swartz building.  It depends on what classes seniors take but most don’t go to Swartz at all.

Shyann Heffelfinger, a senior said, “I like that it’s improving the school but it’s a hassle to have to walk to Swartz when there was only a month left in school.”

The renovations could not have come at a more inconvenient time because this had changed everyone’s routines and paths that students would walk throughout their school day.

Gabby Victor, a junior said, “I don’t like having to walk to Swartz because I am always late to lunch now and I never have enough time to finish my food.”

The hallway that they closed off to the students also had a lot of student lockers in it.  The school had given those students new lockers, so this was not a problem.

About the Contributors
Cayla Abbey, Sports Writer

Cayla Abbey is currently a senior at Carlisle High School.  This is her first year on the Periscope staff.  This year she will be writing in the sports...

Meg Tate, Sports Editor

Meg Tate is currently a senior at Carlisle High School and this is her third year in Periscope and is the Sports Editor.  Meg is a member of the Senior...