Filed under News

CHS brings the thunder to State History Day

Sophomore Samantha Martin created the website above for National History Day.  Martin will continue onto the national competition in D.C. in early June.

Sophomore Samantha Martin created the website above for National History Day. Martin will continue onto the national competition in D.C. in early June.

Despite the stormy weather, Carlisle High School sophomore Samantha Martin prevailed and won second place in the Senior Individual Website category at the state level of competition for National History Day on May 12.

CHS sent 21 students to the competition which was held at CHS for the second year in a row. The 2018 theme for National History Day was “Conflict and Compromise.”  Martin won with a project entitled “Anonymous Source or No Source: Journalistic Conflict & Compromise in Breaking a Presidential Scandal.” The website that Martin created details the role of the press in exposing the Watergate Scandal.

Martin began working on her NHD project in October and spent well over 100 hours researching, writing, and designing to complete the website.

“The goal of creating this project was to tell this story the best that I could and to tell the whole truth of it,” said Martin.  “I really hope I did; I think I did.”

All of her work will accumulate at the National History Day Competition on June 10 at the University of Maryland.

Becca Winton, Website Editor-in-Chief, Social Media Director

Becca Winton is currently a senior at Carlisle Area High School and this is her third year on Periscope. Along with Periscope, Becca is a member of the CHS Student Council, is the manager for the school’s improv comedy troupe, Wingin’ It!, and participates in field hockey and lacrosse. She also loves her puppy, Charlie,  ice cream (which she frequently eats for breakfast), and Meg Tate.  Becca is very excited to be the Periscope website Editor-in-Chief again this year and to see how much the staff is able to accomplish.