Major comeback: Boys lacrosse defeats Central Dauphin in season opener


Hannah Stoner

HEAD IN THE GAME: Carlisle boys lacrosse gets ready to face off against Central Dauphin. The starting line up is pictured before the game having a discussion with the other team and the officials.

The Carlisle boys lacrosse team kicked off their season to a great start on Tuesday, March 29 with wins for both the JV and varsity teams against division opponent Central Dauphin. 

The JV team won with a final score of 4-3. Three of the four goals were scored by sophomore Brayden Burge and the other was scored by freshman Parker Smith. The goalies for the Herd were sophomores Cayden Plank and Evan Wheeler. Plank was in goal during the first half, and Wheeler during the second. 

“I had like 15 saves,” Wheeler said. “The game was interesting; they almost had us [when] it was tied at one point, [but] they kept powering through.” 

Within the first two minutes of the varsity game, CD scored the first goal. The Herd had two shots on goal from junior Matt Serafin in the first quarter, but they struggled to catch up to the Rams early on. 

In the second quarter, the Herd fell short to the Rams again with a single shot on goal by senior Ethan Rose. Shortly after Rose’s shot, CD scored two more times. At the end of the first half, CD was up 3 to a scoreless Carlisle. 

The third quarter was when the Herd was able to turn the game around. CD scored a goal during this quarter too, but it didn’t take long for Carlisle senior Dylan Young to answer the Rams with back-to-back goals. 

“I think our defense did really well and by the second half the offense settled in and started to do well,” Young said. 

Down by two in the beginning of the fourth, sophomore Isaac Beals scored a goal to put the herd within reach of one. A few minutes later, Beals scored a second goal to tie the game up. 

With a little less than seven minutes on the clock, and both teams at four goals, the pressure was on. CD’s team took a shot at goal, but senior goalie for Carlisle, Max Marra, came up with the save. 

Eventually, Young scored the go ahead goal, making the score 5-4. He would proceed to score another goal ten seconds later, putting the Herd ahead by two to win the game with a score of 6-4.

“It felt outstanding to come back and win,” Beals. “It was a very good start. We are on a hot streak right now; it’d be nice to keep it going.”

It felt really good to be back playing lacrosse, and it made it even better to come out with the win.

— Dylan Young

Young added, “It felt really good to be back playing lacrosse, and it made it even better to come out with the win.”

Young will continue his lacrosse journey after high school as he has recently signed to play at Young Harris College.

The next boys lacrosse game is scheduled for Friday, April 1 against non-league opponent, Spring Grove.