Leading up to the playing field

There+are+many+different+types+of+headphones+that+students+wear+in+preparation+of+their+sporting+events.++Our+CHS+students+feel+that+listening+to+music+properly+prepares+them+for+their+events.++

Meg Tate

There are many different types of headphones that students wear in preparation of their sporting events. Our CHS students feel that listening to music properly prepares them for their events.

Claire Whalen, Sports Writer

When it comes to performing well, whether it is an academic competition, a stage, or a  field for a sport, there is a lot going on in the mind of the performer.  High school athletes have many things to think about throughout the day.  .

Performing well in a game or meet takes a lot physically, but it also involves being prepared mentally.  A lot of professional players have some things they like to do before every game in order to get them in the right state of mind.  

Sports team participants at Carlisle High School have their own ways to prepare them for their games.  A lot of them have worked on their routine over the years and perfected it to what it is now, like senior track participant Emma Stephens.

Stephens said, “I try to listen to music that motivates me on the bus rides to get focused and concentrate on what I need to do.  I also like to make sure that I eat right that day, which means no sugar, I don’t love that.”

A lot of players don’t have their routine perfected the first time they participate in a game or meet.  In fact, even Stephens admits that it took some time before she got it to the way that it is today.

“I didn’t know what I was doing at first, so I just did what everyone else did.  But now I’ve developed my own things that make me feel mentally and physically ready to go”.

Junior safety and running back, Phil Cager, likes to make sure that he is prepared by having everything that he needs long before the game starts.  

Cager said, “First I make sure I have all my gear.  This includes my helmet, cleats, pads, etc.  This is because without those things I would be able to play in the game”.  

Not only does Cager prepare himself for the game, but the whole team prepares themselves together in a fun way.

He said, “We all jam out to some tunes so we can get our minds right for the game”.

Senior Sophie Moffatt has a similar routine that helps her get ready for her lacrosse games.  This includes listening to music, but also something that her coach has taught the team to do in order to focus on the games.

Defense player, Moffatt said, “Something that is really neat about our lacrosse team is that our coach gives us quotes before each game which has a little inspirational message for us.”

Every sport is different and unique in their own way.  But every sport, individual athletes have to prepare themselves mentally and physically in their own unique ways.  The Carlisle High School students have put together their own little routines in order to help prepare themselves to do well.