• February 20 PMEA Regional Band starts February 22, 2018

• February 14The CHS musical, Big Fish, will run Feb 22-24

• February 12 Club Day is on February 14th

• February 9Carlisle Area School District will have make up days on Feb 19th and March 28th.

• February 8The CASEF Science Fair will be held off campus on February 28. This is an all-day event, and officially ends on March 1st, 2018.

• February 6The CHS Real Life is for juniors only. This get together event, will be held on February 28th, 2018 in the McGowan building.

• February 5CHS students will be participating in the Regional PJAS on February 24.

CV: Are they really our rival? (Editorial)

Alexa Askins guards a CV player as she attempts to shoot the ball for a basket.  The CV and Carlisle rivalry is debated throughout the school, but are they really our rival?

Alexa Askins guards a CV player as she attempts to shoot the ball for a basket. The CV and Carlisle rivalry is debated throughout the school, but are they really our rival?

Courtesy of Camera Box

Courtesy of Camera Box

As a Carlisle student and athlete, I feel a strong distaste for CV. The question is: are they really our rival? My answer would be yes. Our teams and student section take our games against CV very seriously.

I believe that a rivalry means that you always want to beat them and do better than the other at everything. The Webster Dictionary definition of a rival is one of “two or more striving to reach or obtain something that only one can possess.”  In the world of high school sports, that thing that only one can possess is a victory.

This fall, our various sports teams went 3-8 against CV, which only makes us want to win more and do better this winter season.  The Carlisle volleyball team, dress up in camouflage to play up to the stereotypes set against us. It is something they do specifically for the CV game.

When we host CV boys basketball, during the varsity game, the student section theme is a red fakeout. We wear red and the actual theme color underneath.  

I run cross country for Carlisle. When we have a meet against CV, we all are very intent on running our best race and showing them up.The CV meet is one that we train hard and have an especially hard training week leading up to it.

The coaches also take everything more seriously during that week. Other sports train this rigorously as well.  We are all preparing to win.

Our student-athletes also feel that CV is our rival.

Freshman basketball player Cameron Steck said, “When I play CV I have a confidence boost and I get really hyped up and I get mad because they are our rivals. It gives me the motivation to go out there and beat them and my goal is to keep my head up and beat them no matter what happens”.  

Our teams never like to lose to them, which to me means that CV and Carlisle are rivals. It is important to both of the school’s athletes and student bodies, to be better than the other because it makes each school strive to play our very best while bringing us together in school spirit.

Disclaimer: Articles designated as “Editorial” represent the views and opinions of the author, not the 2017-2018 Periscope staff, CHS Administration, or the CHS student body.