Boys cross country returns to Districts for 10th consecutive year

Camera Box

Sophomore Casey Padgett and junior Caleb Kennedy compete in a meet earlier in the season. The team will move onto districts this weekend.

Claire Whalen, Sports Writer

The beginning of this year’s cross country season was an adjustment for the team.  They lost some of their top runners from last year, such as Noah Affolder who had set a new school record, Sam Affolder, and Isaac Kole. While starting this season might have been a little bit different without these runners, that certainly didn’t stop the team from continuing their streak in making it to the district championships.  

They boys cross country team has made it to districts for the last ten consecutive years.  Last year, they placed second, following Council Rock.  

Although they had to work a little bit harder in the beginning of the season, they have improved both in their running and their relationships with each other.

Junior captain Jacob Morris said, “I am extremely proud to have made it to districts as a team.  To be able to continue what runners years ago started is baffling.  I still am trying to cope with how amazing the journey has been and how it may continue.”  

Morris recognizes that many of the returning members have improved this year.

“I think that from last year we have moved a lot of guys forward from their stances at the end of last cross country season,” said Morris. “Really, it’s that idea of depth that strengthens our moral and courage on the course daily.”

Sophomore Casey Padgett also thinks that what has also helped them be the best team that they can be is being able to be comfortable with one another.

“I think the team’s biggest improvement this year was how close together we are both on the course and off of it,” said Padgett. “We were close personally and with our times.”

He added, “The team feels like a family.  Just the team’s atmosphere and how we are able to joke around and be as close as we are.  We went from not knowing each other super well in the beginning of the season to being able to joke and talk about almost anything.”

This camaraderie was felt by new teammates as well.

“The team provided an environment for constant improvement. The runners at CHS were dramatically better competitors than my previous teams,” senior Eric Fielder, who is new to Carlisle this year.

The boys cross country team will participate in the District III meet at Big Spring High School on Saturday Oct 28.