Should the Washington Redskins change or keep their current name? (Editorial)

Clara Cozort

Amidst all the recent controversies with the name, there are still many fans of the Washington Redskins.

Amidst all the great moments in the NFL this year, there are still many controversies. One of the biggest is the Washington Redskins name and mascot.

There are currently twenty-three Native American tribes and over fifty organizations representing Native Americans that want the name changed. The Redskins were first called the Boston Braves but was changed in 1933. The Redskin’s mascot is modeled after a former Blackfoot tribal and modeled after the Buffalo Nickel.

There are currently two debates on which the term “Redskin” comes from. One side says it references the skin tone of the Native Americans, while the other says it references the war paint worn by most tribes. The Native Americans say the names and symbols are a harmful form of ethnic stereotyping.

Daniel Snyder, the current owner of the Washington Redskins and Roger Goodell, the NFL Commissioner, have said, “We believe it refers positively to Native Americans.”

I believe that the Native Americans should be proud to have their heritage the symbol of a national football team. Also, if a kid is a fan of the Redskins, then maybe they will want to learn about the heritage of the Native Americans. I personally like the Boston Braves name, so if they would switch their name, that would be a good choice for them.  Even though the Boston Braves would still represent Native Americans, it might be taken better then the Redskins.

Neshaminy School District, located in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, has also been rocked by a similar controversy. The school newspaper “The Playwickian” refused to use the term “Redskin” in their publications. On June 26, the school allowed them not to use the term “Redskin” in objective articles but still requires them to allow it in editorials and letters to the editor.

I could see both reasons for wanting or not wanting to change their name.  One side could say its okay to use the term “Redskin” in the newspaper, because it is the school district’s mascot, and on the other side they could see how they wouldn’t want to use the term and would want the name changed.

Another team facing the name controversy is Major League Baseball’s Cleveland Indians. Activist Robert Roche has been urging the Cleveland Indians to change their name and their mascot Chief Wahoo. Native American groups protested this past season, because of the recent NFL controversy. Supporters of Chief Wahoo say that the mascot isn’t meant to offend Native Americans and has long been a symbol of the team and the city of Cleveland.

Protestors want the name to be changed to the Cleveland Blues. Again, I don’t think the Indians should change their name, because it is honoring their heritage. The only thing that could be changed is their mascot. Their mascot is Chief Wahoo and I could see how some people might find the way he looks offensive.  The current mascot is very comical and they should change it to some a little more historically correct.

In the end, I don’t think that the names will be changed because they have been around for an extremely long time and I don’t think there are enough supporters to get the names changed.