• October 29Powder Puff sign ups have begun and will end 11/7. Waivers are in the main offices.

• October 2911th and 12th grade PE classes will be meeting in the McGowan Gym starting 11/5.

• October 15There will be a Club Day on 11/5.

• September 28Spirit Week has been moved to 11/12-11/16

Filed under Perspectives, Showcase

School has positive effects on students (Editorial)

Some+schools+provide+student+planners+to+help+students+keep+track+of+their+responsibilities.+
Some schools provide student planners to help students keep track of their responsibilities.

Kenny Brenizer

Kenny Brenizer

It’s common knowledge that many students take advantage of extra time during school breaks to catch up on sleep. With no school, they have the opportunity to sleep in later than they may normally would. Yet having school five days a week does have its benefits for students.

For example, working on a schedule helps students learn how to organize. Sports or part-time jobs in combination with school are also helpful, in that they allow students the chance to learn how to better manage multiple activities in their time. This prepares them for a future where they’ll need to manage their schedule.

Time management isn’t the only added benefit of having school five days a week. Other skills also inadvertently affect students without them realizing how school has changed their lives in the long run.

A psychologist at Washington University in St. Louis, Henry Roediger, claimed that “decades of research has shown that making yourself recall information helps strengthen your long-term learning.” Recalling information is exactly what students do when taking test or quizzes. Roediger goes on to explain that taking tests on a regular basis helps in retaining information in long term memory.

Terri Babers, Life Coach and Speaker with The John Maxwell Leadership Team, tells her clients that “when you consciously set goals for yourself, you are more confident about making things happen, and you are more effective in life.” Constant deadlines and assignments provide the ideal opportunity to set small goals for yourself.

Many people don’t do New Year’s Resolutions because it seems tedious to write goals out. It’s easy to forget the goal or task without it being written down as a reminder. In school, deadlines or assignments are constant reminders of what you have to get done. Babers made the argument that “setting goals goes a long way toward making positive changes in your life and toward creating abundance and prosperity.”

University of Washington released an article on the importance of “learning how to interact with people.” School provides the opportunity to interact with people you may not have otherwise known. The article goes on to mention how people become dependent on others career wise: “We live and work in a world where groups of people solve problems- especially in the areas of science, math, and engineering.”

Education is the main focus in schools, but there are other undeniable benefits. As the University of Washington says, “Yes, you learn academically, however, the social skills learned are more important.”

Disclaimer: Articles designated as “Editorial” represent the views and opinions of the author, not the 2016-2017 Periscope staff, CHS Administration, or the CHS student body.

About the Contributor
Kenny Brenizer, Perspectives Editor

Kenny Brenizer is a junior and the perspectives editor for the 2016-2017 Periscope staff. She does no sports. She has no hobbies. She just wants cats and...

4 Comments

4 Responses to “School has positive effects on students (Editorial)”

1. Jacob Fisher on January 8th, 2017 2:38 pm

I definitely agree that school affects students in a positive manner. While it may be seen as stressful by most and cause many people to be irritated, it’s common knowledge that school is good for students. Having a student learning and interacting in an environment such as a school is something that anyone can recognize as being positive. Regardless of how the student feels about high school, the simple fact is that he or she is learning more than they would at home. I personally love the ability to interact with my friends at school and even if school was optional, I would still willingly go.

2. Erik Praestgaaard on January 11th, 2017 10:17 am

I agree that school has a positive effect on a student’s learning. Personally, I love sleep; but going an entire year without school would get boring very quickly! The social aspect of going to school is invaluable to anyone’s development, and everyone knows that it is important to have an educated society. I don’t think however, that we need to start school so early. If we started making school start at 9:30 instead of 7:30, nothing would go wrong!

3. Cara Eschenmann on January 11th, 2017 2:07 pm

I totally agree with this article! Although I complain about school quite a lot, I know that it is a very important part of my life. Without school, I probably wouldn’t have a social life and I wouldn’t have made the friends that I have today! I would get very bored and would probably be a lot less intelligent than I am. Honestly, I do enjoy going to school, but I HATE waking up so early. Great article!

4. Jessica Burley on January 17th, 2017 9:33 am

I 100% agree with this article. I complain about school so much but if I didn’t have school, I would be lost. School helps me out a lot even though I always say I hate it.

• School has positive effects on students (Editorial)

Perspectives

Sudden change: What happened to anti-shooting activism? (Editorial)

Perspectives

Tech Support: Help or Hindrance? (Editorial)

Perspectives

Trying to do it all (Editorials)

Perspectives

Opening doors to the future: Electives help determine careers (Editorial)

Herd in the Halls

Herd in the Halls: standardized testing

Herd in the Halls

Herd in the Halls: the transition from paper to digital

Perspectives

Participation grades: punishment for introverts? (Editorial)

Perspectives

Two-faced: What happened when we didn’t wear makeup for a day (Editorial)

Perspectives

Just a word, or so much more? (Editorial)

Perspectives

Is protesting effective? (Editorial)