Did You Know?

Staff Profile
Andrew Bordner
Andrew Bordner
Staff Writer

Hands on Helping: Peyton Walker Foundation Provides CPR Training to Students

Huddle+for+Hearts%3A+This+event+was+held+at+Trinity+High+School+where+they+donated+4+AEDs+to+3+local+businesses%2C+including+the+Harrisburg+Area+YMCA%2C+Panthers+Select+Softball+and+717+Athletics.+This+photo+was+taken+of+Bill+Odoms%2C+the+foundations+CPR+instructor%2C+and+Julie+Walker+giving+an+instructional+CPR+lesson+to+Trinity+students.++++
Peyton Walker Foundation
Huddle for Hearts: This event was held at Trinity High School where they donated 4 AED’s to 3 local businesses, including the Harrisburg Area YMCA, Panthers Select Softball and 717 Athletics. This photo was taken of Bill Odoms, the foundations CPR instructor, and Julie Walker giving an instructional CPR lesson to Trinity students.

In the last year, The Peyton Walker Foundation has heavily affected schools within the community with spreading their mission to increase awareness of Sudden Cardiac Arrest, the two most influenced schools being Carlisle High School and Trinity High School.

Earlier this school year Carlisle’s McGowan auditorium was housed for the first running of The Peyton Walker Foundation’s Protecting Hearts Saving Lives Curriculum. This training was a 90 minute period event for all Seniors, split within 3 groups, in the fall led by Asheleigh Forsburg and Julie Walker, accompanied by a section led by students interns of the foundation. 

The events consisted of 3 main parts. 

The first portion featured a speech by Walker showcasing the significance of the foundation’s mission, along with the story of her daughter, Peyton. Peyton Walker was a 19 year old student athlete at King’s College in 2013 who suffered from Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA). Her mother shared her story to each group and how Peyton’s death became a wake up call to them to spread awareness, screen and to avoid tragedy for other families.

Students were then shown a series of videos on how to give proper CPR. Including the effects on blood and oxygen flow when improper CPR is provided. Forsburg then further described their 4 Minute City program; demonstrating the importance of having AEDs readily available to the community and its members.

Students then followed the clips up by either taking a short student-intern led Kahoot quiz on the information explained in the videos or follow up questions asked by Forsburg to the group. Or they continued onto a hands-on CPR and AED demonstration and training where they could get a better feeling of how giving CPR should feel, including depth and speed. 

The majority after training agreed that they would feel more comfortable giving CPR if needed. Students also later received a certificate saying that they have completed CPR training with the foundation. 

Principal Patrica Buffington told ABC27 this in considering the Protecting Hearts Saving Lives Curriculum,  “We will make this happen because it’s important for our students to leave Carlisle knowing how to possibly handle an emergency.”

In regards to Trinity High School the foundation started a Huddle for Hearts “Touchdowns for AED” campaign with the Trinity Shamrocks Football team, also in partnership with West Shore Home, a home remodeling company; which together raised $5,800, according to the foundation’s Instagram, and was used to donate four AEDs to local organizations on January 3.

With winter sports now in season the foundation has decided to continue the Huddle for Hearts campaign into wrestling with “Pins for AED”. During the wrestling season for every pin made by a Shamrock, Bob and Ashleigh Bender along with Furniture and Mattress Discount King will be donating $50 towards the campaign. In addition to the money raised from the Huddle for Hearts campaign, the foundation is also always accepting donations to fund the spreading on their mission.

If any students are interested in partnering with The Peyton Walker Foundation they are able to apply for the Partner with Peyton program, for more information visit the foundation’s website under the “What We Provide” drop down and select “Partner with Peyton”.