NOCTI exams: Students’ skills are put to the test

Janie Haseman

Cosmetology students are practicing some of the skills that may be tested on the NOCTI.

Janie Haseman, News Editor

Many classes at CHS are beginning to wind down—but not the VoTech programs.

For them, the hardest part of the year has just begun. Many CHS students are now taking the NOCTI test, which provides for college credit as well as recognition of industry proficiency.

“They could earn all the fabulous industry certifications we offer, have straights A’s…but if they aren’t proficient [on the NOCTI exam], then no college credit,” explained Dr. Michele Orner, director of CHS’s Center for Career and Technical Education.

The test has two parts, one written and one practical. A student’s overall test score is based off of the lowest score of the two.

“What really makes it challenging is that the teacher doesn’t know what’s on the test,” said Orner, mentioning that although NOCTI publishes a skills list, teachers nor students have no way of knowing which of these specific skills will actually be tested.

Ashlie McClure, part of the Health Careers Academy, is hoping to pass the Nursing Assistance NOCTI exam.

“I chose to get involved in the program because it offered great opportunities to earn certificates for [the] work force…it’s a  great experience,” she said.

McClure said that although she has not studied outside of class, much of her health career classes is NOCTI-focused. A pre-test is given at the beginning of the year to determine what students need to work on most.

“It’s preparing you to take charge when you get into the field, and skill testing is a big part,” said McClure. The difficulty of the program, she said, “depends on how much work you put into it.”

Senior Kellee Kennedy agreed.

“It’s pretty easy…we’ve gone over it all so many times,” said the cosmetology student of NOCTI’s written portion–a testament to both a great cosmetology program and a lot of hard work.

“[The most rewarding part] is getting your license and being able to get to work,” Kennedy said.

There are ten cosmetology students taking the exam this year.

“There’s a lot of pride in doing well, pride in opportunity,” said Orner. She mentioned students rushing into her office to ask for scores as soon as they were available, even though the official passing score is yet to be determined.

“[It’s] to further my education,” said Kennedy simply when asked of the test’s importance.