Creativity unleashed: ‘Pandora’s Box’ returns with new digital format

John Morton

John Morton joined Pandora’s Box as a way of “being able to express [him]self.” Pictured is one of his pieces, “Commandeered.”

Janie Haseman, News Editor

Pandora’s Box has been opened once again.

Carlisle High School’s literary magazine, which has been on hiatus for the past few years, recently published its first issue. Although the anthology had previously been published in print, Pandora’s Box is now solely an online affair.

“One of the reasons [Pandora’s Box] took a break was because of funding,” said English teacher Sarah Clayville, who co-advises the publication with fellow English teacher Jason Griffith.

Clayville mentioned that digitizing the magazine not only lowered expenses but also allowed for a more inclusive anthology.

“With multimedia, we can have people performing, students reading poetry…and numbers [can now increase] too. It’s not ten of the best [works] featured at the end of the year; we can have over 200 students [featured on the site] at a time,” said Clayville.

The Pandora’s Box club has attracted many students from diverse backgrounds.

“I am very enthusiastic about sketching/drawing, and when I heard that there was a school publication that also featured art, I figured it would be fun,” said senior John Morton, who moved to Carlisle from Germany this past year. “Pandora’s Box is a place where people can write and create without being confined by a grading rubric.”

Co-editor-in-chief Spencer Pechart said, “I have always been passionate about editing and viewing others’ work; it is enriching to help others find their voice and show them how to use it.”

“[I like] being able to show off the creativity that CHS has to offer,” he continued.

Clayville had a similar opinion, saying her favorite part about being one of the club’s advisers is “fostering a community of readers and writers at the high school.”

Morton said, “Pandora’s Box is one of the few places in school that encourages actual expression and creativity.”

To see the latest issue or learn how to submit your own work, check out http://chspandorasbox.wordpress.com/.