CHS gets a report card of its own

Courtesy of Pennlive.com

CASD as a whole received a building-level academic score of 82.52/100.

Janie Haseman, News Editor

As the end of the semester nears, many students are beginning to worry about their grades. However, Carlisle High School is satisfied with their own report card, given by the Pennsylvania Department of Education last December.

New this year, the Pennsylvania Performance Profile rates high schools based on their Keystone Exam performance, graduation rate, and SAT performance, among other things. CHS received a total building level academic score of 80/100, which puts it well above the average score for the area. Scores of nearby schools varied greatly, from Camp Hill’s 93.9 to Shippensburg’s 56.6.

“Overall, I’m pretty proud of our score,” said CHS principal Jay Rauscher, who dismissed a faculty meeting early upon hearing the news to reward the teachers for their hard work. “The 80-89 range was where we’d hoped to be.”

Over 70 % of CHS students were found to be proficient in reading and 85.6% proficient in math, but just over 35% tested proficient on the Keystone biology exam. Students performed admirably on SAT and ACT tests—CHS received 100 % in the SAT/ACT College Ready Benchmark category.

However, Rauscher mentioned that “Ultimately, [improvement] is our goal. [A total score of] 80 is a great starting point, but we want to see it go higher.”

To ensure that this happens, a school improvement plan is put into place every year to address CHS’s weaknesses. This plan used to focus on improving PSSA results, but the new Profile allows for data that helps the high school to work on improving more than just test scores.

“The School Performance Profile is a tremendous improvement over the PSSA system,” said Rauscher. “It really looks at the whole picture.”

The “whole picture” of CHS depends on even more than school ratings.

“Our mission statement as a school…focuses on the needs of Carlisle specifically, taking into account the population and the characteristics of the student body,” said CASD teacher Julie Brent. “[What makes a good school] is to recognize those characteristics and to implement strategies focused on meeting our specific needs.”

On its website, the Pennsylvania Department of Education stated that, “The [overall] score for a school is based upon indicators that define a high performing school.”

Carlisle High School, it seems, is defined as even more than such.

For more information, visit http://paschoolperformance.org/Profile/5562.