• March 19Sign-ups for Senior Trip end 3/27 and forms can be turned into Mr. Bigelow in M202.

Filed under A&E, Books, Reviews

Glimmer of Hope: How a movement sparked from tragedy (Review)

Each+chapter+in+%22Glimmer+of+Hope%22+was+written+by+a+student+or+alumni+of+Marjory+Stoneman+Douglas+High+School.++All+of+the+proceeds+from+the+book+will+be+used+to+benefit+the+March+for+Our+Lives+Foundation.+++

Each chapter in

Each chapter in "Glimmer of Hope" was written by a student or alumni of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. All of the proceeds from the book will be used to benefit the March for Our Lives Foundation.

Abigail Lindsay

Abigail Lindsay

Abigail Lindsay

On Feb 14, 2018, one of the worst school shootings in American history took place at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.  While most people in Parkland mourned the loss of those who had died, a small group of students were frantically working together to create a movement that would bring attention to gun violence.  This movement would become known as March for Our Lives and they have now released a book titled Glimmer of Hope, focusing around the creation and goal of this foundation.     

Before even reading the book, the cover immediately caught my eye with its orange font.  The color orange has become the nation’s symbol in the fight to end gun violence. The background is filled with whimsically drawn people holding signs that read messages such as “Books not Bullets” and “Am I Next?”         

The book then opens with a poem that’s repeating line is “Just another day, not another number.”  By starting the book with a poem, it sets the tone for the rest of the book: that the students refuse to let this shooting become just another statistic.    

A unique part of the book is that each chapter is written by a different student who helped to found March for Our Lives.  Some of those who helped in writing the book were also alumni of the school.  Having not only students but alumni also help in creating March for Our Lives really showed me just how connected the people of Parkland are–to all come together, all wanting to help create a positive change.

My personal favorite chapter in the book is titled “The First Day Back At School: February 28.” In this chapter each student wrote a few small paragraphs about there experience of the first day back.  Personally, David Hogg’s section describing how the first day felt for him showed me just how horrific the event truly was.

“Imagine getting in a plane crash and then having to get on that same plane everyday without fixing the problem that caused the plane to crash in the first place,” wrote Hogg.

At the end of each chapter, a full page image is shown. This enhances the feeling you get from reading the book.  Many of the photos at the beginning of the book are filled with flowers and signs, in honor of those students who died in the shooting.  As you progress through the book, the photos are students in action; from students talking with members of the government, to students at rallies calling out chants.  

The book concludes with what is next for the foundation.  They have now launched a nationwide tour called “Road to Change.”  The aim of this tour is to “get young people educated, registered, and motivated to vote.” 

Matt Deitsch who wrote this chapter of the book, repeatedly emphasized how important it is to vote.  Deitsch discuses how we the people know the community the best, and that our politicians and leaders often lose touch of what the true reality it. 

“Look at Marco Rubio, who represents Florida in the Senate,” writes Deitsch. “How often does he go down to Liberty City, a place where gun violence affects the community every day.”  Thus, by using our right to vote politicians can better understand what truly needs changed in the U.S.  

Glimmer of Hope showed a new perspective on just how quickly the students and alumni of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School rallied together after such a tragic event.  The strength and courage these individuals displayed to create March for Our Lives was perfectly captured in Glimmer of Hope.      

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Glimmer of Hope: How a movement sparked from tragedy (Review)”

1. Daija Berry on January 14th, 2019 4:13 pm

I think that you did a good job with writing about this kind of topic, especially because it has and always will be a sensitive one to discuss. The title and picture also grabbed my attention and made me want to find out more because I immediately felt a sense of relief without even having to read what the article was about yet.

2. Abbie Hurst on March 18th, 2019 4:16 pm

This is a very important topic to me, It was always though, there was a shooting in San Bernardino, CA last year at an office which was just minutes away from my cousins’ school. It really hit home and made me become more aware of the necessity for gun control. I think what these students are doing is amazing and I really hope something is done to ensure the safety of all students and people alike, I don’t want to become another number.

• Glimmer of Hope: How a movement sparked from tragedy (Review)

‘Captain Marvel’ offers a much-needed female role model (Review)

Genre repeat: Battle royale gaming has ties to deathmatch style

“Russian Doll” is the best Netflix original content (Review)

PewDiePie vs T-Series: The war for YouTube’s identity (Editorial)

Hitting the perfect note: CHS’s music department

It’s ‘Chime for Change’: Gucci restarting empowerment campaign

‘The Lego Movie 2’: A brick by brick analysis (Review)

Revenge, death and mystery: Why you should watch ‘Velvet Buzzsaw’ (Review)

Blocking the temptation: Apps to help limit phone usage

Byte: Will this be the return of Vine?