• May 14The senior class' last day is May 23.

• May 14The honors banquet will take place on May 23 at 5:30 pm.

• May 14Senior Renaissance will take place on May 29 in the McGowan Auditiorium.

• May 14Matthew Oh placed first in the senior individual documentary category at state National History Day on May 10.

• May 14The 2019 edition of Oracle is availible for pickup in the cafeteria this week

• May 13Keystone Testing will take place this week (5/13-5/20). There will be an adjusted schedule most days.

Twenty One Pilots creates brilliant backstory for upcoming album ‘Trench’ (Review)

Tyler Joseph jumps on stage during a performance in London. This was the first live performance of recently released songs from the upcoming album

Tyler Joseph jumps on stage during a performance in London. This was the first live performance of recently released songs from the upcoming album "Trench."

Official Twenty One Pilots twitter

Official Twenty One Pilots twitter

Official Twenty One Pilots twitter

Twenty One Pilots is back with new music, and this time they’ve also created an entire universe.

In 2017, drummer Josh Dun accepted an award for the most dedicated fan base at the Alternative Press Awards. He said, “Tyler wishes he could be here; he’s actually off severing ties with Dema.”

No one knew what this meant, and the conspiracy theories began.

Someone discovered a URL hidden in a gif on the band’s web page. The link brought you to an error code with a hidden message. This was the beginning of what would turn into months of clues into the lore of the Trench era.

The letters were written from a character named Clancy who is trapped in a city called Dema. The city is controlled by nine bishops who seem to have overruling power over the people in the city. Clancy even hints that some of the bishops abuse their power.

Maps of Dema were also released on the website. The interior of Dema (which translates to “the tower of silence”) had nine circles in the center of the complex. The circle layout looked exactly like the cover of their 2015 album Blurryface.

Each of these circles had a name of one of the bishops underneath it, including the bishop Nico. The letters from Clancy continued to introduce themes in the Trench era. He speaks of the Banditos, the group of people trying to escape Dema, and how he is nervous about facing the bishops.

After months of lead up, Twenty One Pilots released the songs “Jumpsuit” and “Nico and the Niners” on July 11. Both of the songs had an alternative rock vibe featuring bass guitar and drums.

“Jumpsuit” was also released with a music video. The video has great cinematography that helped visualize the characters like Clancy, Nico, and the Banditos that fans had been reading about. 

In the video, Clancy tries to escape Dema but is confronted by the ominous bishop Nico. The bass drops as Nico rides his white horse down the middle of the trench towards Clancy.

He gets off his horse, and they stand face to face in a moment with such intense ambiance that viewers are almost guaranteed to get chills. Tyler sings “I’ll be right there, but you’ll have to grab my throat and lift me in the air” as a piano gently plays in the background.

What Twenty One Pilots is doing is unlike anything else currently in the industry. This level of storytelling that is portrayed in the lyrics of the songs, is brilliant. They’re venturing into an unexplored territory of utilizing other elements like photographs, journals, and gifs to enhance their music. They created a fictional universe of unique and diverse characters.

Their dedication and experimentation with music are paving the way for artists in the future.

Click here if you want to read Clancy’s letters and see the photographs from dmaorg.info.

Carol Etzel, Magazine Editor-in-Chief

Carol Etzel is a senior at Carlisle High School. This is her second year as Magazine Editor-in-Chief. Along with Periscope, she also plays the clarinet...

1 Comment

One Response to “Twenty One Pilots creates brilliant backstory for upcoming album ‘Trench’ (Review)”

1. Abbey Birely on October 23rd, 2018 12:32 pm

I’ve already fallen in love with twenty one pilots and this is one of the reasons why, they create a deeper meaning behind their songs and they create a whole story line that follows the albums. I have to research more into the backgrounds of the albums but from my experience with the band they have always delivered amazing songs and have really connected with there fans on a deep level.

• Twenty One Pilots creates brilliant backstory for upcoming album ‘Trench’ (Review)

A ‘map’ to the charts: BTS releases new album

Heading off stress: Anxiety and relaxation apps (Review)

Let the ‘Game’ begin: Students make predictions about final ‘Avengers’ film (Video)

Poetic expressions: NEHS to host Poetry Week

Shaking up the industry: Billie Eilish releases first album (Review)

Sequential success?: Reddit’s 2019 April Fool’s Day event

Live-action remake of ‘Dumbo’ flies into theaters (Review)

Scouting for new flavors: Students try lesser-known Girl Scout cookies (Video)

‘Captain Marvel’ offers a much-needed female role model (Review)

Genre repeat: Battle royale gaming has ties to deathmatch style