• May 14The senior class' last day is May 23.

• May 14The honors banquet will take place on May 23 at 5:30 pm.

• May 14Senior Renaissance will take place on May 29 in the McGowan Auditiorium.

• May 14Matthew Oh placed first in the senior individual documentary category at state National History Day on May 10.

• May 14The 2019 edition of Oracle is availible for pickup in the cafeteria this week

• May 13Keystone Testing will take place this week (5/13-5/20). There will be an adjusted schedule most days.

Filed under A&E, Reviews, Television

“Russian Doll” is the best Netflix original content (Review)

Released on February 1, Russian Doll is an eight episode Netflix original. The show features clever plot lines and intriguing characters.

IMDb

IMDb

IMDb

Repeatedly experiencing your death can really put your life in perspective.

36-year-old Nadia is stuck in a time loop, forced to relive her birthday party only to die and do it all over again. With eight twenty-minute episodes, Russian Doll is the perfect size for a clever, concise storyline.

This concept of reliving the same day has been tackled multiple times before, both in movies like Groundhog Day and also in countless network TV shows. Russian Doll is a thriving example that there is always a new, creative way to tackle a classic trope.

An eccentric game designer with unruly red hair living in New York City, Nadia’s character is not without flaws; she has an addiction to drugs and had suffered a rough childhood, yet her flaws are presented in a way that is down to Earth.

In order to relate to audiences, many characters in modern TV are given lots of quirky traits. Instead of being unique, those characters are often perceived by viewers as unrealistic and fake.

Nadia’s character does not fall into this trap. This is the main reason I fell in love with the show.

Part of this is due to the writing, but equal credit goes to Natasha Lyonne’s acting. Her role in Russian Doll has brought recognition to her talent that she deserves.

Just as the title suggests, the layers in the storytelling are the best part about Russian Doll. As Nadia relives the same day, details are always changing and tension is rising. Adding to the mystery keeps each episode fresh and captivating. I felt like I was stuck in the time warp with Nadia, desperately looking for any clues to stop the universe’s tirade.

Without giving too much away, fans were left wondering if Russian Doll will continue with another season. Season two has not been confirmed, but the option to continue the series is a possibility.

But does Russian Doll really need another season? I would agree that the finale left us with more questions than answers. But isn’t that the point? The ending gave just enough closure that you could see how the characters have developed, but not enough detail to explain the logistics of the time loop.

The journey wasn’t about how Nadia kept dying, it was about helping yourself heal so then you can help others around you. This is why the ending makes sense, even though the finale ends with such an abstract, ambiguous moment.                                                                      

If you’re looking for something new to watch this weekend, Russian Doll is a perfect choice.

Carol Etzel, Magazine Editor-in-Chief

Carol Etzel is a senior at Carlisle High School. This is her second year as Magazine Editor-in-Chief. Along with Periscope, she also plays the clarinet...