Maybe the Queen of Pop should give up her crown (Review)

Will Madonna's newest release make your 'heart' beat faster?  This reviewer says no.

Will Madonna's newest release make your 'heart' beat faster? This reviewer says no.

Courtesy of official Madonna website

Courtesy of official Madonna website

The Queen of Pop has come back to claim her throne. Madonna released her 13th studio album, Rebel Heart, last Monday and it’s already topped #1 in 5 countries.  However, Madonna fans may find themselves disappointed with their purchase.

Rebel Heart includes collaborations with Avicii, Diplo, Kanye West, Nicki Minaj, Chance The Rapper, and surprisingly, Mike Tyson.

The album kicks off with the EDM single, “Living for Love.” Madonna sings about having your heart broken but still carries on a toxic relationship until she finds true love.

Rebel Heart’s fifth track “Illuminati” which is produced by Kanye West, is an absolute mess that sings about being in the Illuminati. The song basically name drops every single line and the beat is ridiculously awful. “Illuminati” is the worst filler song of the album and it’s a great disappointment.

Skipping all the way to Track 9 “Iconic” features both Mike Tyson and Chance The Rapper. In the beginning, it starts off with Mike Tyson claiming he’s the greatest. The rest of the song contains cliché lyrics to help boost the listener’s confidence but the song is truly an EDM/Pop disaster.

Rebel Heart is clearly a disappointment and I would think that the Queen of Pop would be able to create a signature album instead of EDM/Pop rubbish. Maybe it’s time for the 56 year-old “Queen” to finally retire her crown.

Chaela Williams, A&E writer/editor
Chaela is a member of the Periscope staff. It’s also her third year on  staff. She is a senior at CHS. She loves writing stories, watching anime, and going on social media. Chaela loves the color pink, and enjoys eating sushi and macarons. She loves reading fiction/fantasy novels. Chaela is currently in her 4th  year in the CHS marching band and...
1 Comment

One Response to “Maybe the Queen of Pop should give up her crown (Review)”

1. Julia Vichnevetsky on March 25th, 2015 9:33 pm

I completely agree! Madonna used to be great, and this album is not up to the quality that she used to offer in her previous albums. She tried to be hip with the collaborations with famous people, but it didn’t work. If she wants to make a comeback, she will need to try again with a much better album.

[Reply]