• March 19Sign-ups for Senior Trip end 3/27 and forms can be turned into Mr. Bigelow in M202.

Rivals routed: Boys basketball win against Cumberland Valley

The anticipation was growing for the young Herd’s contest against Cumberland Valley.  The team’s last game before the break helps them surge forward through the season.  For the 13th time in a row dating back to 2014 the Herd came out on top.

“This is one of the best rivalries in Central PA,” Coach Andre Anderson said. “So it [means] a lot for us to pull this [win] out.”  

Senior Trevor Hamilton is one of the oldest players and leaders of the team.  A forward for the team, he was looking forward to the matchup with longtime rivals.  

“This team hustles more than any other team I’ve played on before,” Hamilton said.  “We just need[ed] to play together for a whole game. Even though CV’s playing very well and everybody thinks highly of them, I want[ed] us to dominate them.”

Hamilton’s hopes were proven to be enough, as the team was able to overcome the opposition to get the win.

The Herd and CV’s rivalry runs back to the beginning of high school sports.  Carlisle and CV are rivals in every sport, but in basketball, it could be considered more intense.

Coach Anderson was pushing the importance of the game during the buildup of the game.

“The key [was] not coming out flat,” Anderson said. “We need[ed] to have a lot of energy throughout the whole game […] helped out by the crowd and the crazy atmosphere in the gym.”

The Herd entered the contest at a record of 2-4 losing multiple close games along the way while the Eagles were a perfect 5-0 heading into the contest Friday night.  Carlisle had beaten CV eight times at home in a row entering the matchup but, CV has one of their best teams in recent memory this year.

It was a very competitive and low scoring affair with both teams scoring less than 30 points in the 32 minute time frame.  Both teams struggled to score in the first quarter having the end of the frames line being five to three to the away team.

The second quarter was the highest scoring eight minutes of the night with CV outscoring the home team by two and taking a three-point lead into halftime.   

The tide swung in the second half, however as the Herd outscored the Eagles by five in the third and then eventually holding on in the fourth to claim a five-point riveting win before winter break began.

After the game, senior guard Clay Burkett gave his reaction to the crazy and competitive game.  He felt as though this game not only was a great win for the present but also for future games.

“We can use this performance as a blueprint for future games by coming out with the same amount of intensity at the start of the game,” Burkett said.  “Hopefully we can rebound and play defense as well in future games.  We also just can’t be shy about taking shots and facing ball pressure.”

The Herd will go into their next game against a 3-2 Harrisburg team hungry for a win on Jan 2 with a record of 3-4 and coming off a momentum-boosting win.  If the Herd can replicate their performance on Dec 21, then they give themselves a good chance at winning.

Michael Raphael, Staff writer

Michael Raphael is currently a freshman at Carlisle Area High School, and this is his first year on Periscope staff. He will write for various sections...

1 Comment

One Response to “Rivals routed: Boys basketball win against Cumberland Valley”

1. Jacob Bream on January 10th, 2019 1:23 pm

I am glad the the boys team defeated CV. I was shocked, and I knew it was going to be a close game. They played their hearts out. They wanted the win more, and it showed on the court. They left it all out there.

• Rivals routed: Boys basketball win against Cumberland Valley

Sports

At the starting line: What propels students to try a new sport?

Sports

March Athlete of the Month: Sam Candland

Showcase

Jumping through the differences: Indoor vs. outdoor track and field

Sports

February Athlete of the Month: Sierra Young

Sports

Sweat now, succeed later: Football starts off-season training

Showcase

Shooting stars: Catching up with freshman Dylan Young (Video)

Sports

February Athlete of the Month: Bryce Dunkelberger

Sports

Flying above and below: different sports and their reports (Editorial)

Showcase

Wishes come true: Eleven student-athletes sign with future schools

Sports

Boys basketball celebrates senior night with a win