Cyberbullying stops here: Wi-Fi restrictions keep school safe (Editorial)

Heidi Heinlein

More stories from Heidi Heinlein

Having Wi-Fi at school can be useful for furthering education but this poses a threat. The first step to ending cyberbullying is building firewalls to protect students.

Mackenzie Miller

Mackenzie Miller

Cyberbullying plagues schools nationwide but it is difficult for schools to combat abuse that is done behind a screen. Allowing school Wi-Fi access to the students committing these acts gives them the resources they need to go to attack others on campus. There is a very simple solution though: create restrictions on Wi-Fi.  

Social media apps, such as Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, etc.,  should be blocked so that students can’t use the WiFi for harassing other students. Not having Wi-Fi makes students think twice before they have to use their precious data.

Should Wi-Fi be restricted in schools?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

At Carlmount High School in California,  a firewall on Snapchat was installed during the 2015-2016 school year. Although this caused an uproar amongst the students, there was a reason for it.

Robert Fishtrom, the Director of Instructional Technology explained, “Unfortunately, we had a bullying issue at another campus that caused a lot of challenges and there was police involvement and we had to make a decision to block Snapchat. We want to prevent bullying on campuses.”

Many people were confused as to why only Snapchat was blocked because other social media could be used for bullying other too. However, the district argued that things like Twitter and Instagram have proven to have educational value for the teachers and staff. 

East High School principal Mike Hernandez commented on the fact that disengaged students are often found at school walking around with their heads down. He said, “…unfortunately it can lead to students making poor choices on social media.” These poor choices include cyberbullying and posting inappropriate content on their social media.

School Wi-Fi is essential to the students and the school environment. It gives people the ability to use their computers to do work and further their education. I believe that WiFi should be censored to prevent cyberbullying issues and keep the school’s Internet purely educational. But, if a school blocks social media, people will find a way around it.

There are several different sites which teach readers on how to hack and get around the block. All it took was a Google search “schools blocking WiFi” and the many of the top options were how to get past them. The most visited site was one on how to do this on an Android, IOS, or PC. I began reading to see the opinion of the writer. One thing mentioned was “The biggest reason for such restrictions is for the prevention of indulgence in illegal or immoral activities.”  

The part of the article this was said it was trying to explain why the restrictions were unreasonable in the first place, but it just adds another reason on why it should be done. Censoring school Wi-Fi may seem restrictive but it keeps students safe and protects the school atmosphere.

Disclaimer: Articles designated as “Editorial” represent the views and opinions of the author, not the 2017-2018 Periscope staff, CHS Administration, or the CHS student body.

About the Contributors
Heidi Heinlein, Perspectives Editor

Heidi Heinlein is currently a sophomore at Carlisle High School. This is her second year as a staff member for Periscope. She is a co-editor of the perspectives section with Kathleen O’Neill. She plays volleyball for the JV team and is also a varsity cheerleader. She is determined to keep distinguished honor roll while still participating in sports, student council, and other school events. In her future she looks forward to following her parents’ footsteps by joining the military but also taking her own path by doing something with law or negotiation. Heidi is super excited for the 2018-2019 Periscope staff. 

Mackenzie Miller, Photographer & Photo Editor
Kenzy is currently a freshman at Carlisle High School. This is her first year on Periscope and she is a photo editor and photographer. While not getting lost in the hallways, Kenzy is also a member of Freshman Class Council. During her free time she enjoys being a volunteer firefighter at the Citizens Fire Company. She is a...
1 Comment

One Response to “Cyberbullying stops here: Wi-Fi restrictions keep school safe (Editorial)”

1. William Cantwell on February 19th, 2018 8:52 am

Ever since I heard about cyber bullying, I never really understood its threat or danger. Yes people can say mean things on the internet, but that doesn’t mean that they will, or that it can affect someone extensively. I went through extreme physical and verbal bullying in grade school and I really don’t think that it is comparable to someone typing up a few words, hiding behind their technology. I don’t think that blocking social media on school wifi really acomplishes anything in terms of stopping cyber bullying, as again it isn’t that common, and all this does is force students to use their own data plans to access the cites regardless.

• Cyberbullying stops here: Wi-Fi restrictions keep school safe (Editorial)

Perspectives

Away games: Student-athletes forced to choose between sleep and school (Editorial)

Herd in the Halls

Herd in the Halls: standardized testing

Herd in the Halls

Herd in the Halls: the transition from paper to digital

Perspectives

Participation grades: punishment for introverts? (Editorial)

Perspectives

Two-faced: What happened when we didn’t wear makeup for a day (Editorial)

Perspectives

Just a word, or so much more? (Editorial)

Perspectives

Is protesting effective? (Editorial)

Perspectives

Water is What? (Editorial face-off)

Perspectives

Cheesecake: Cake, pie or tart? (Editorial)

Perspectives

Innocence Lost: Seventeen stories ended (Editorial)