Better ‘safe’ than sorry: New program hopes to protect PA students

Courtesy of Safe2saypa.org

The logo for the new Safe2Say Something program. The program, which has been implemented across Pennsylvania, allows students to anonymously report dangers to student safety.

Ellie Knapp, Staff Writer

Drugs, threats, shooting-plans, abuse, bullying, and tobacco use are all things that qualify a submission to Carlisle’s new anonymous tip program, “Safe2Say Something.”

The program, sponsored by the Sandy Hook Promise, a nationwide non-profit, is required for Pennsylvania schools.

“Safe2Say Something is required through Act 44 for all Pennsylvania schools and went into effect January 14,” said Christina Spielbauer, superintendent of Carlisle Area School District.  

There are 3 ways to submit a tip; on their website, on the app Safe2Say Something PA, or by calling their hotline,1-844-5-SAYNOW.  

When a student submits a tip, he or she will be asked to fill out a form with detailed questions about the situation, but none of them require an answer.  As soon as you hit submit, you will be sent a Tip ID and Password so that, if you choose, you can follow up and engage in a discussion with a Safe2Say employee while remaining anonymous.  

“Students should use the program responsibly,”  said Emily McDonald, one of the student counselors in the McGowan building. “It is not a place to ‘tattle’ or cause ‘drama.’ It is a place for students to submit tips that they are truly concerned about.”  

Safe2Say does acknowledge that some people will use their program for less-than-helpful means, but they do not expect there to be too many issues with the program.

“Hoax or false claims are less than half of 1% — with most being inactionable submissions such as ‘clowns have red hair’,” according to the informational presentation on the CASD website. 

If students have information about something that could possibly hurt someone, the administration would like them to use the program in order to prevent possible violence or danger.

What do you think about the Safe2Say Something program?  Do you think this will be an effective method for handling sensitive situations like these?  Share your thoughts below.