• March 19Sign-ups for Senior Trip end 3/27 and forms can be turned into Mr. Bigelow in M202.

New and improved? WiFi updated at CHS

Shayna Rhoads

More stories from Shayna Rhoads

New and improved? WiFi updated at CHS

Keyboards of confusion: students struggle with their laptops as the school wifi changes yet again.

Lillianne Hogsten

Lillianne Hogsten

Lillianne Hogsten

Carlisle High School changed their internet system over Thanksgiving break. Many students that use their own computers returned to find that there was no wireless internet for them to connect to. The system, which has already been put in place, will eventually have three different connections to get on the internet: one for staff, one for students, and one for guests.

“The school changed the internet for the upgrade, [to] streamline it,” said Kelli Murphy from the technology department.  “Instead of trying to upgrade onto an existence, it’s easier just to get a new system.”

If the school streamlines the internet, that means the internet should be faster. With faster internet, the school can have more people on the internet.

Some students also like the new internet system.

“It’s faster and has less problems, although some students are having issues,” freshman Kirsten Wierich said. 

Most of the issues students face are connecting their own device to the new system. This is why we now have the guest option. 

The new internet system gives students and staff more access to technology, as a tool, and as for entertainment.  A potential problem with the new system is connectivity issues.

“But thanks to our technology people they can fix those problems,” said David Frey, ninth grade principal.

In the future, the schools new internet is supposed to provide a better, faster connection for students and staff.

Shayna Rhoads, Staff Writer

Shayna Rhoads is a freshman at Carlisle High School, and is a staff writer on Periscope. She loves to talk to people and get to know new things every day....

8 Comments

8 Responses to “New and improved? WiFi updated at CHS”

1. Maddie on January 9th, 2019 9:01 am

I’m really glad that they are upgrading the WiFi! Hopefully that will help the internet to run smoothly. I have definitely experienced connection problems in the past so I hope they can get that under control. Administration seems to recognize technological problems. They seem like they are eager to fix these issues.

2. Jacob Bream on January 10th, 2019 10:27 am

I am glad that the school finally fixed the internet! Although, there are still times where I have some connectivity issues on the school computer, but I do see the faster speeds on the internet.

3. Aisling Dolan on January 10th, 2019 11:43 pm

After the initial problems, I’m glad to say the school WiFi did get a lot faster and more reliable! I don’t fully see why students using their own laptops have to connect to a guest network instead of a student network, but I’m fine with it because it remembers your login information instead of repeatedly asking for it. I remember being a sophomore and constantly having to make my devices forget and retry the network because the pop-ups to log in weren’t working. The article said the internet connection would continue to be improved. Since it’s now January, I wonder if all the changes to the network are complete?

4. Joseph Dimino on January 11th, 2019 9:24 pm

News of upgraded WiFi is definitely exciting! Myself and many other kids have experienced a lot of issues pertaining to the school’s internet connection and these new fixes would be a big step forward and elevate a lot of headaches!

5. Armela Ferhatoviic on January 13th, 2019 6:12 pm

I have not noticed a difference in the WiFi. I personally have had a hard time connecting my laptop to the WiFi a few times, but that could possibly just be a laptop issue.

6. Thomas K on January 14th, 2019 4:22 am

I use my own device and this happened to me after Thanksgiving break. The new system seems a lot better because i haven’t had issues so far.

7. Jenni Sena on January 14th, 2019 8:39 am

I am really happy that they fixed the internet, it had been such a big issue in the past, and I hope that with the new system the internet runs smoothly!

8. Evan Bates on January 14th, 2019 3:07 pm

As someone frequently in the VoTech wing, where one might expect the internet to be faster due to the proximity to the help desk, I have noticed no change in the WiFi. I could even consider it to be worse! My teacher has even complained of having to use unlimited data rather than the network. This has not changed over the break. Help never comes from the help desk so it should rather be named simply “The Desk” as that is all that is ever there.

• New and improved? WiFi updated at CHS

Keeping students safe: new school security measures put into place

• New and improved? WiFi updated at CHS

A ‘latte’ goodbyes: Preparing for the Last Drop

• New and improved? WiFi updated at CHS

Thundering Herd takes on Regional History Day

• New and improved? WiFi updated at CHS

Remembering Kyle: Scholarship to be dedicated in memory of CHS alum

• New and improved? WiFi updated at CHS

Mind the gap: Addressing the $3 million budget gap

• New and improved? WiFi updated at CHS

Is this the real life or is this just fantasy? Junior Achievement presents Real Life

• New and improved? WiFi updated at CHS

Arming against the epidemic: How CHS combats a culture of sexual violence

• New and improved? WiFi updated at CHS

Cleaning up our act: Green Team aims to make CHS more environmentally friendly

• New and improved? WiFi updated at CHS

Goodbye, Nittany Lions: Penn State classes no longer available at CHS

• New and improved? WiFi updated at CHS

Better ‘safe’ than sorry: New program hopes to protect PA students

New and improved? WiFi updated at CHS