Did You Know?

Staff Profile
Natalia Iannucci
Natalia Iannucci
Staff Writer

‘The Rest’ of ‘The Record’: Boygenius Releases New EP (Review)

HEART-HANDS%3A+Concert+goers+show+boygenius+their+admiration+through+a+perfectly+synced+heart-hand+gesture.+Boygenius+at+the+All+Things+Go+fesival+performing+Emily+Im+Sorry+off+their+debut+album.+
Jenna Coller
HEART-HANDS: Concert goers show boygenius their admiration through a perfectly synced heart-hand gesture. Boygenius at the “All Things Go” fesival performing “Emily I’m Sorry” off their debut album.

On March 31st, 2023, indie girl supergroup “boygenius”, released an emotional, raw, and breathtaking extended play (EP) entitled the record. Not only does this EP showcase the depths of heartbreak, but also illustrates the platonic connection of the three members of the band. Although fans thought their music could not be any more heart-rending, on October 13th, they released their newest four track collection, the rest. This EP further proves that the bands’ members, Lucy Dacus, Julien Baker, and Phoebe Bridgers are some of the most talented songwriters of the decade. 

Since the record, boygenius has been touring all around the United States. They have recently performed at Madison Square Garden in NYC, as well as the “All Things Go” music festival in Washington D.C., featuring many pop and indie artists. Not only has the band been touring together, throughout the year, Bridgers has been accompanying Taylor Swift as she travels through the country in The Eras Tour.

Fans are ecstatic about the rest due to its use of metaphors and other forms of figurative language to express many life experiences. Being the lyrical (boy)geniuses that they are, many tracks include references to ideas or lyrics from past songs made by the band or during their solo careers. 

The opening track, “Black Hole”, uses figurative language and revisits old themes from the record, referencing the sixth song on the album, “Not Strong Enough”, through the opening lyrics, “Black hole opened in the kitchen/ every clock’s a different time”. The continuous black hole metaphor brings a sense of familiarity, yet a whole new theme from the three writers. This song symbolizes darkness and confusion, contrasting things like “white teeth/ black light/ white tee/ brown eyes”. It begins with a quiet keyboard background melody, but as the song progresses, the beat becomes more aggressive by adding in percussion and electric guitar. Encompassing the themes and instrumentals of the EP, “Black Hole” is a flawless opener.

Track two, “Afraid Of Heights”, features Dacus as the lead singer. This song dives deep into the contrast between wanting to live a predictable life compared to the adrenaline rush of living on the edge. Dacus sings, “When the black water ate you up/ like a sugarcube in a teacup,” furthering the juxtaposition between the desired lifestyles with a

INFERNO: Julien Baker performs the chorus of “Satanist” under strobes of red light and fog machines. (Jenna Coller)

simile. As the track approaches the first chorus, backing harmonies from Baker and Bridgers join Dacus’ lead to build tension sonically when the harmonies abruptly stop before there is a musical climax, mirroring the speaker’s stifled life torn between two paths. The soft acoustic beat accompanied by poetic lyricism creates an emotionally incredible listen for those who are afraid of heights.

“Voyager”, The third track on the EP, is a soft and melancholic ballad that explores themes of self discovery and changing of relationships throughout time. Like other boygenius songs, this song encapsulates how astonishing the band’s songwriting truly is. Bridgers takes on the lead vocals, serenading, “But I used to believe nobody could love you like I do/ And I’m starting to think that it might be impossible not to”. The speaker explains how their idea of love has changed with a sorrowful yet romantic tinge. Gut-wrenching lyrics like “When you stepped on the gas and you asked if I’m ready to die/ you thought I’d never leave and I let you believe you were right” make every listen hurt just a bit more. This alongside mournful guitar chords allow a new interpretation of the song after each play.

The EP closes with “Powers”, a deep and contemplative track that can resonate with anyone. The lyrics display the speaker’s feelings of how existence is quite enigmatic through a  supervillain narrative. Along with the deliberative lyrics, Baker’s raw vocals open over an acoustic guitar melody, humming, “How did it start?/ Did I fall into a nuclear reactor?/ Crawl out with acid skin or something worse?”. Built on science fiction tropes, this song summarizes the feeling of self discovery when it comes to love and romance, while still pondering about the rest of the world. The acoustic guitar throughout the track gives “Powers” an even more potheme. The background vocals as they sing “Either way, I have been wondering/ just how it is/ how it is/ I have never heard/ never heard/ the tale of how I got my powers” deliver a heartwrending message and an eerie listen. This was an absolutely killer closing track. 

Ultimately, boygenius knows how to rip their listeners’ hearts to shreds with their songwriting skills and tender vocal capability. Lucy Dacus, Julien Baker, and Pheobe Bridgers are exceptionally brilliant and never fail to amaze their fans with their work. For only being the groups third commercial release together, the rest, showcases their impeccable lyricism and ear for instrumental melodies to compliment their talented vocals. This EP is overall a testament to their musical talent, leaving listeners in awe and breaking hearts all around the world.