Technology and studying: Which device reigns supreme?

Phones are often chosen over other forms of technology as a superior tool for studying. Their versitility in function crowns them as king of technology at Carlisle High School.

Cameron Fritz

Cameron Fritz

Cameron Fritz

Cameron Fritz, Publications Manager

It seems like every day something new is being invented and another device is being released to the public. For students who are taught something new every day, this constant stream of discovery should be exciting.

New ways to study and memorize will hopefully make learning easier and more efficient. One category of technology that achieved these goals is the technology we have accessible at our fingertips.

There is no doubt about the presence of technology at Carlisle, but do students understand the educational abilities of these devices?

A CHS Periscope survey set out to find which devices and apps students used most in their studies.

As far as devices are concerned, there was no surprise that the majority of students (62.8%) reported that their phones were most important to them. The convenience of cell phones make them the go-to device for students. Since phones now have the capabilities to stream music and complete computer oriented tasks, they often replace devices such as music players and computers for more simple tasks.

Personal computers were not too far behind (25.7%). This survey excluded school computers, meaning the 25% of students bring their own computers from home.

Taking a look at apps, the race was much closer. Students reported that Photomath, GroupMe, and PowerSchool were among their most used. The list of apps was slightly more diverse, including Calculator, Clock, and Reddit.

It is apparent that technology plays an important part at Carlisle High School, so much that students have taken their technology use beyond school distributed hardware.

About the Contributor
Cameron Fritz, Publications Manager

Cameron Fritz is a senior at Carlisle High School. This is his second year on the Periscope staff and he holds the title of Publications Manager. Cameron’s...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Technology and studying: Which device reigns supreme?”

1. Abbey Birely on January 14th, 2019 3:06 pm

It is really interesting to see that that phones have taken over the school and honestly a little worrisome, considering the effect of phones on the teens social skills. but it does help studying sometimes and definitely makes music listening way easier. it is interesting to see phones being used more than school computers considering how you can walk into a classroom and see almost every student with a school computer.

2. Salko Hrnjic on January 14th, 2019 11:18 pm

This was a really interesting read. It’s amazing that almost 2/3 of our school use phones in studies considering that teachers used to warn students that they wouldn’t have a calculator wherever they went. Now, we have something more powerful than the technology used to land onto the moon right in our pockets! Phones are just better when it comes to checking powerschool or schoology than the school computers, which disheartens me when considering the data at school is so poor. However, i think the line between the utility of phones and their potential ability to be a distraction is something that gets blurry since teachers cannot easily tell if students our doing their assigned task or simply browsing social media.

• Technology and studying: Which device reigns supreme?

Head of the Herd

Head of the Herd: Joseph Durbin

Student Life

The gender divide: Why are some classes not evenly represented? (Editorial)

Student Life

Learning to hand jive: A behind the scene look at “Grease” practices (slideshow)

Student Life

A bit of both worlds: Student-athletes participate in Shakespeare

Student Life

Questioning the questioner: a conversation with Ridge Wargins (Video)

Student Life

A New Year’s celebration: First Night in Carlisle

Student Life

Midterms are on the horizon for the students of CHS

Head of the Herd

Head of the Herd: Abbie Hurst

Student Life

Getting in the spirit of giving: Spirit Week kicks off Mini-THON

Student Life

What’s over the corner: the Bison Corner