Trends and technology: why do we get so obsessed?

Dont+let+your+phone+obsession+keep+you+from+participating+in+real+life%21+

Clara Cozort

Don’t let your phone obsession keep you from participating in real life!

Brooklyn Norrell, Student Life Editor

Every teenager knows about Silly Bandz, leggings, Uggs, Starbucks, and video games because all of these have been taken to extremities. If these items were not taken to the extremes, would they be as well known as they are now?

There are many opinions about why people obsess.

“[Teenagers have] nothing else to do with their life,” said Michael Hickey, sophomore.

Others might look to obsessions as a way of fitting in. Freshman Gwenyth Almeida said that people follow trends “just so they can be like everyone else, because if one person’s obsessed then they want to be obsessed like them.”

Many others have formulated other opinions. Sophomore Andrew Houghton believes that obsessions happen “because [teens are] unconfident in their own abilities” while classmate Colby Mitchell feels that teenagers  “find something that they like and take it to the extreme and it becomes part of routine.”

Overall, the general idea of obsession is that people need other people’s opinions in order to be accepted into society.

Professionals like school counselor Johanna Jones believe that teenagers are susceptible to these obsessions.

“Teenagers obsess over [things like] their phones because it gives them instant gratification, […] an instant feedback on ‘I posted this today. How many people like it?’ and instantly they can see, they can feel that feedback from their peers right away,” said Jones.

Many teens however, do not believe that they obsess over their phones, but when it comes down to it, many teens do not realize that their phone is now part of their daily life and that they are over using it.

Obsession does not have to be materialistic though. Many people obsess over their grades.

Jones said, “Kids obsess over things like perfection and grades at school and that pressure comes from home and from families, parents.”

Sophomore Noelle Burley backed up that statement, saying, “I care about getting good grades, so my mom doesn’t yell at me.”

Obsession can also lead to stress because with all the new trends, not everybody can afford these items or they just cannot get their hands on them.

Many trends come in swinging and then fade out a short time later. People say that the things they obsessed over before are now nowhere to be found or are in hiding and are not used anymore. Who knows what fixations will come next?