Did You Know?

Staff Profile
Sunderlyn Griffie
Sunderlyn Griffie
Staff Writer

Hungry for a Win: Carlisle Football hopes to snap six game losing streak against CV

SET+HIKE%3A+The+Carlisle+football+team+prepares+to+snap+the+ball+on+Friday%2C+October+7+against+State+College.+
Sophie Mohr
SET HIKE: The Carlisle football team prepares to snap the ball on Friday, October 7 against State College.

Carlisle High School’s homecoming football game was held on Friday, October 7 in Ken Millen Stadium. The Herd went into the game with a five game losing streak, and extended that losing streak to six. Facing fierce conference opponent State College, the Herd couldn’t find a rhythm and lost 20-55. 

The team has had a tough season with only one win on their record which came in the first week against Mechanicsburg, now they sit 1-6. 

Reflecting on what worked this past Friday night, senior quarterback Lucas Smith said, “We had a few defensive stops, and at times we moved the ball well on offense.”  

Senior kicker Darian Crim also had a successful night, making both field goal attempts. 

Although the team lost, school spirits remained high for the homecoming game. The marching band performed their dragon themed show titled “From the Skies” written by Kate Gilmore and Bryce Doane before the match. Homecoming court was honored during halftime and Maia Iannuzzi was crowned as queen. 

The team remains optimistic for a win, helping them stay motivated is the coaching staff. 

When asked what is being said to the players to keep them motivated, Head JV and Running Back Coach Seth Roper said, “There’s a lot of season left, and each game offers its own importance especially this week with CV.” 

The Herd’s next matchup is against school rival, Cumberland Valley tonight, Friday, October 13. Last year, the Herd came out on top for the first time in nearly 20 years. 

There’s a lot of season left, and each game offers its own importance especially this week with CV.

— Coach Seth Roper

“CV’s a must win game, do or die,” said junior offensive lineman Ryan Wolaver.

The Eagles have also struggled this season, not picking up their first win until the fourth week. Currently, they are on a two game win streak and all of their wins came from conference opponents. 

Wolaver also mentioned that “we’ve been counted out before” in terms of score predictions against CHS’s rival. Last year, the team was able to prove those predictions wrong, sparking a turning point in the season and setting them back on track to make the playoffs. This year, the Herd looks forward to the CV game as their turning point yet again. Although they may not make the playoffs this time, the boys are hungry for a second win, and never seem to quit.