Did You Know?

Staff Profile
Andrew Bordner
Andrew Bordner
Staff Writer

AP Psychology in Florida: The Mind Boggling Ban (Editorial)

Natalia Iannucci
BRAINS OR BANS: Florida governor Ron DeSantis moves to eradicate the course AP Psychology in an effort to censor students from LGBTQ+ content.

Within the first few weeks of the new school year, the Republican governor of Florida, Ron DeSantis, has decided to “effectively ban”  the College Board Advanced Placement Psychology course from Florida public schools. According to Florida state law, the instruction of content related to sexual orientation and gender identity is “inappropriate” and therefore, illegal. Superintendents were told by Governor DeSantis to halt the teaching of this course in their districts if it was going to mention these topics. The banishment of this elective course negatively impacts the academic wellbeing of Florida students because it targets minority groups, further alienating them and their education. The AP course should not be prohibited. This decision violates students’ rights to inclusive education and access to advanced collegiate opportunities.

Despite Republican support for the ban, I am not the only person upset about the decision; College Board themselves released a statement about DeSantis’ decision to ban the course, expressing their disappointment in the choice,“we advise Florida districts not to offer AP Psychology until Florida reverses their decision and allows parents and students to choose to take the full course”.

We advise Florida districts not to offer AP Psychology until Florida reverses their decision and allows parents and students to choose to take the full course”

— College Board

In College Board’s statement they explain that the course has had the same curriculum for the last 30 years. So, why would they ban it now? It’s possible that the course has been banned just recently because of the rise in Conservative views within Florida’s state government. Specifically, Desantis’ decision to ban certain books and another College Board course, AP African American Studies, because of the mentions of sex, sexual orientation, race, and gender identity demonstrates the Republican states’ controlling nature. Florida’s constant limitations to what students can read, learn, or see feels unconstitutional. Though it is not technically illegal, it is downright immoral. Excluding this course but not the others because of the mention of sex, race, or orientation is unethical. This is an outright act of homophobia and racism.

Although the banning of this course is not explicitly unconstitutional, it still isn’t right. According to the First Amendment of the US Constitution, “Congress shall make no law… abridging the freedom of speech,” ambiguously asserting anti-censorship legislation.  

Everyone knows the First Amendment, and we all love to hyperbolize that it is being taken from us but this specific event is the real deal, and requires more attention. By creating the “Don’t say Gay” bill in Florida, Desantis is limiting what is being taught in schools because of his personal beliefs, implementing censorship on the state level. Furthermore, kids before the time of 4th grade are prohibited to learn anything about race, sex, or orientation, directly targeting marginalized groups. Whether you’re exposed to it at school or outside of school, those things are not secrets or horrible topics that we should keep hidden from the school system- they are real life.

Prior to DeSantis banning the AP Psychology course, the state banned the aforementioned College Board course, AP African American Studies, because it went against the state law that declares that teaching a curriculum around race is illegal. Taking away these AP courses seems a bit excessive. If a parent of a student believes the student should not take this course because of their own personal reasons then they don’t have to. The courses are quite literally optional. By banning them, it takes away the right of a parent and student to have autonomy over their learning. When students choose their courses at the end of the school year, they fill out a form requesting electives, then the parent has to sign off on it. If you’re someone that doesn’t believe in these courses, simply just don’t allow your child to take it, or if you’re a student, don’t take it.

The AP Psychology course happens to be the most popular AP course in the state of Florida. Students take AP courses to get a head start on college and even save money. By taking this course away from Florida students, DeSantis is taking away an AP credit opportunity for kids, particularly harming those that cannot afford expensive college tuition. These credits are important to students because the cheaper College Board credits can be transferred to most colleges and universities. So in turn, by banning this course and other courses, Desantis is costing Florida families more money for college; when college is already extremely hard to financially support.

Unfortunately, Florida students won’t be able to learn the full course of AP Psychology due to its inclusion of vital aspects of humanity. At least they will have the opportunity in some districts to take it, although it will still exclude the banned topics. Despite these setbacks, activists will continue to fight the “Don’t Say Gay” law and the banishment of education pertaining to minorities and things that should be normalized in society.  

Disclaimer: Articles designated as “Editorial” represent the views and opinions of the author, not the 2023-2024 Periscope staff, CHS/CASD administration, or the CHS student body.