• November 12Girls' basketball tryouts will take place in the McGowan gymnasium on November 17-18

• November 12District band and orchestra tryouts will take place on Saturday, December 2

• November 12Tickets are on sale for Mini-Thon's annual pancake breakfast, which will take place on December 16

• November 12Impact tests for winter sports are due on November 15

• May 2Follow Periscope on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. @CHSPeriscope

Filed under Perspectives, Showcase

Is Brightly Colored Hair Distracting? (Editorial)

It+is+a+commonly+argued+topic+on+whether+or+not+vibrant+hair+colors+are+a+distraction+in+the+classroom.+
It is a commonly argued topic on whether or not vibrant hair colors are a distraction in the classroom.

Hannah Westbrook

Hannah Westbrook

Some schools see brightly dyed hair as distracting, but CHS teachers don’t think so. All asked teachers stated they didn’t think it was a distraction; most even had a positive view on students dying their hair. Then why do other schools throughout the U.S. ban dyed hair?

In Muscle Shoals, Alabama, Hayleigh Black got sent home from school on the first day for having an “unnatural” shade of red hair. She claims it had been that color three years before the school had a problem with it. Another instance was at St. Francois County school, Missouri, where Savannah Keesee had to be pulled out of school for her auburn hair.

Colored hair is something even our teachers don’t have a problem with, and they would be the first to be concerned about their students’ attention span.

When asked if dyed hair was a distraction to her students, English teacher Michelle Disbrow said, “Students should be able to express themselves with tattoos and hair color.” Disbrow doesn’t believe her student’s learning ability was affected by the presence of colored hair.

Kelly Brent, a CHS math teacher, sees hair color like accessories that “show their personality.”

Other teachers, like English teacher Erika Schiffgens, also see brightly colored hair as a positive way for students to express themselves during school.

Students can adapt. If a rainbow t-shirt isn’t distracting, then how is red hair? The color of a fellow student’s hair can’t possibly be the reason students get distracted in the classroom.

While so many other schools have policies against unnatural or dyed hair, CHS students are lucky to have the freedom to choose whatever hair color they want.

Disclaimer: Articles designated as “Editorial” represent the views and opinions of the author, not the 2015-2016 Periscope staff, CHS Administration, or the CHS student body.

Is colored hair a distraction?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

9 Comments

9 Responses to “Is Brightly Colored Hair Distracting? (Editorial)”

1. Maryanne Cantwell on October 19th, 2015 8:15 pm

Because I think that Carlisle is such an open place when it comes to expressing oneself, I think it would be interesting to hear the voice of someone who doesn’t agree. Is having attractive red hair any different from having an attractive figure, that some CHS teachers insist is covered up. In reality, I think that these forms of expression are not distracting, but they make some uncomfortable simply because they are not commonplace.

[Reply]

2. Sarah Frick on October 21st, 2015 12:33 pm

We have come to a point in society where we accept people for there differences and being unique, encouraging young people to make decisions for themselves. If we can encourage individuality of the mind, why should we prohibit it on the outside? Dyed hair is just another form of expression same as what a student wears or acts and should not be treated differently because of the color of their hair, this is no more distracting then something such as a colorful shirt as described in the article.

[Reply]

3. Gabriela Menendez on October 23rd, 2015 5:58 pm

I am happy CHS is a place where student’s self expression is not stifled. It is natural to experiment and change in such formative years, and changing, if you so choose, your appearance is imperative to a healthy progression through life.

[Reply]

4. Blaine on October 25th, 2015 9:01 pm

Hair color is something that can easily change and affords students an easy and less permanent way of expressing themselves. Nobody ever died from hair color. Unless, of course, you count my mom who allowed my older sister to dye her blond hair a gothic shade of black in 8th grade. But even that tale has a happy ending. Color is never permanent and should not be considered a distraction in the classroom. A red shirt is pretty much the same as pink hair. It’s just a color.

[Reply]

alex lopez Reply:

PREEEEACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Reply]

5. Charles Willis on October 25th, 2015 9:37 pm

I have been to 3 different schools in my high school career and have seen every color, shade, and tint of dyed hair that can be imagined. Not once did someone’s hair color distract me from my academics or bothered a teacher. I’ve even seen and had teachers who dye their hair. Dyed hair is just another form of expression. I always believed a person should be free to express themselves as long as it doesn’t harm anyone or anything.

[Reply]

6. Mary Smith on October 26th, 2015 2:01 pm

Everyone else makes good points, why should we care about other’s hair? It’s a choice, so we should let everyone do what they want.

[Reply]

7. Emma Bateman on October 26th, 2015 9:56 pm

I really appreciate that CHS allows bright hair colors. I think that hair color is great for personal expression and I think that allowing people to have some forms of personal expression, like clothing and backpacks, but not others, like hair color and tattoos and piercing, doesn’t make much sense. I can’t see that distracting from learning. I understand that schools want their students to be focused on learning and being respectable people, but it is very important to allow self expression.

[Reply]

8. Raphael Feldman on April 23rd, 2017 7:39 pm

It seems like all of us are united against dyed hair bans, eh? Thank god you can choose your own hair color at your school. Besides, its just being CREATIVE!

[Reply]

• Is Brightly Colored Hair Distracting? (Editorial)

Perspectives

Senior book chapters: Evoking nostalgia or bringing anxiety? (Editorial)

Perspectives

The problem with denim: should teachers be allowed to wear jeans? (Editorial)

Perspectives

Trainers: The people behind Carlisle athletes (Editorial)

Perspectives

It could happen here: Intruder drills don’t prepare us for increasingly plausible situations (Editorial)

Perspectives

Sit, stand or kneel: Everyone has these rights (Editorial)

Perspectives

New student group makes transitions easier

Perspectives

Does popularity really matter? (Editorial)

Perspectives

Pack or Snack: What the cafeteria doesn’t serve (Editorial)

Perspectives

Donald Trump and Russia on ISIS (Editorial)

Perspectives

Health care is a right (Editorial)