Did You Know?

From The Ground To The Clouds: Carlisle’s Successful 2023 Marching Band Season

Charity Bixler
The marching band stands along the bleachers for a team photo.

Carlisle High School’s marching band lived through a fairytale while performing their show “From The Skies.” The members and staff put in countless hours of work to perfect their performances. 

“From The Skies” showcased a relationship between dragons and humans. The show featured a relationship between humans and dragons where they were initially curious about each other, then became friends, and finally enemies. The two were friends until eventually the humans turned on the dragons and fought them in a nail-biting battle for power. Kai Lesman, baritone soloist, Matthew Franzen, clarinet soloist, and Renae Greak, color guard soloist, are some of the performers who help bring the show to life.

One of the most crucial parts of marching band is the musical aspect. Students used a variety of instruments to play music from “How To Train Your Dragon” and “Bleeding Out” by Imagine Dragons to bring a story to life. 

This season, the marching band competed with Cavalcade Of Bands in the Liberty A division. They have been working since early August to perform the best they can at championships. 

“I couldn’t imagine my senior show ending any better,” Renae says. “5th place out of 14 bands with high percussion and field music, and a final score of 88.32 is absolutely incredible.”

This season, they traveled to Wilson High School, Cumberland Valley High School, and Warwick High School. They were awarded 4th place, 1st place, and 5th for championships. They were also awarded with high percussion and a high field music score. With this show and drill fully written by Carlisle staff, everyone was ecstatic about the outcome of the season.

Caitlyn Gilmore, the writer of the show, was delighted to watch her vision come true. She also worked with Bryce Doane and Tim McCreary to write music specifically for Carlisle’s students.

“It’s hard to describe the feeling – In many ways that vision has come to life but it’s also done so much more,” Gilmore says. “In some ways it’s different than how I imagined but overall I am so proud of the show and mostly the team of staff, students, and parents who have worked to make it so amazing.” 

Adam Marrazzo, wind section staff, also worked with the entire band to make the drill and music sound exceptional.

Marrazzo says, “all of the staff pitched in from writing the show music, writing the drill, creating visuals, picking out flags, props, and uniforms. There are so many renditions of this show that did not make it to the final product but we are so proud of our students for bringing this idea to fruition.” 

Not only does the show include Carlisle’s musical talent, but it also includes visual talent. Carlisle’s color guard is a prominent part of the marching band and continues to grow and improve each year. With their various flags like dragon eyes, sunsets, and fire along with their bright blue reptile-like costumes, they were able to help the band tell the story. 

Many changes have occurred with the guard program in the past few years. With a new head director, the guard has fresh new eyes to lead them through the competition season. They are just as excited for the indoor season. Director Amri Pulley has worked with staff Kayla Hechler, Xavier Muza, and Emily Moglia to bring the show to another level visually.

The 2023 marching band season has been an overall success for the students and staff. The show being written by the staff specifically for the performers has made a lasting impact and led to a prideful competition season.